Bilge

Skipping Scallop

Reaction score
Hello
Has anyone had to get to the bilge on the center toon in back by gas tank? I have a new 2022 with a live well in back center above it. With the phone and video I see it down there but how in the world do you get to it? Problem is dealer installed Talons and in order for them to be off I have to have my battery switch to off. Dealer said that I would need to run a wire from the battery to the bilge so it is hot all the time so when switch is in auto it has power to turn on. My understanding is to tap into the brown wire with a hot wire would correct this. They installed Talons and why doesn't Bennington run a hot directly like other manufactures? So anyway, I'm going to do it I just don't know how to get to it or find the wire. By my phone pictures it looks like it sits on a long bracket of some sort. Any help or guidance much appreciated.

Thank you!

They installed Talons and why doesn't Bennington run a hot directly like other manufactures?
I don’t know if other manufacturers bypass battery shut off for bilge pumps or not. I wouldn‘t think ANY manufacturers would bypass the battery shut off switches for accessories - else why have the shut off?

I would think Bennington specifically doesn’t do it so that people don’t inadvertently drain their battery during times of non-use through the parasitic power draw. I know I wouldn’t want a direct hot wire bypassing my battery cut off switches to the extent possible. Even a small power draw can kill a battery after 3-4 weeks.

For example, this very issue is probably the only drawback to Sea Legs IMHO. They have a direct wire system that bypasses Perko switch cut off. Thankfully Sea Legs has a fuse breaker switch on the power line, so you can cut off the parasitic power draw that way when its going to sit dockside for awhile. Very handy early and late season.

Anyway, I would make sure you absolutely NEED that bilge pump able to pump on auto when the boat is not being used and dockside with its power otherwise shut off. Seems like that type of change is simply going to be dead batteries waiting to happen…

Hi Jeff,
Thank you for your input. The dealer stated that normally on a two battery system to use say #1 battery left on so the Auto side of bilge can run if need be. But like I mentioned the Talons are wired on if the switch is in the on position for #1, #2 or both so the switch has to be off. I understand what your saying but most boat manufactures have the auto side hot all the time. I live in Florida with a storage area in front where water comes in the center toon. Lots of water and it can get heavy on my lift. That's the reason I want to wire it to one battery only and have the other one as a back up.

Back