Bimini Damage

G

Geewest

Just a FYI, The black plastic bimini bases that allow you to take your bimini up and down IMO seem to be facing the wrong direction. They will release in the direction of tension. Example: when you’re going down the lake the wind want’s to push back on your bimini. The black plastic quick release at the bottoms of the bimini are being pushed in the direction to release or come off. That's what happened to me. The wind or the twist of the boat going over a wake took the tension off the bimini and let it release or come off on one leg. The one leg that let go at speed let the bimini bend back and put a Kink in the bimini hoop before I could slow down. It happened in an instant. I had to stop and bend the hoop back and in the process it cracked and kinked the aluminum bimini hoop. (picture)

I called my local dealer and sent them a photo and they said they would take care of it.

What I decided to do was take the black plastic bimini release's that are at the bottom of the forward leg. These are the pieces that let you take down and up your bimini. I took them off and turned them around in the other direction so the NOW when the wind blows against the bimini it is now pushing or keeping the quick release in it's locked position. The only down side to this MOD is now the 2 plastic tab's on either side of the quick release are in the wrong direction and don’t or will not lock up against the bimini leg when you have the bimini folded down. No big deal I installed a Velcro strap to hold the arm in position when the bimini is down. This is something I think Bennington might want to take a look at.

bimini.jpg

Just a FYI, The black plastic bimini bases that allow you to take your bimini up and down IMO seem to be facing the wrong direction. They will release in the direction of tension. Example: when you’re going down the lake the wind want’s to push back on your bimini. The black plastic quick release at the bottoms of the bimini are being pushed in the direction to release or come off. That's what happened to me. The wind or the twist of the boat going over a wake took the tension off the bimini and let it release or come off on one leg. The one leg that let go at speed let the bimini bend back and put a Kink in the bimini hoop before I could slow down. It happened in an instant. I had to stop and bend the hoop back and in the process it cracked and kinked the aluminum bimini hoop. (picture)

I called my local dealer and sent them a photo and they said they would take care of it.

What I decided to do was take the black plastic bimini release's that are at the bottom of the forward leg. These are the pieces that let you take down and up your bimini. I took them off and turned them around in the other direction so the NOW when the wind blows against the bimini it is now pushing or keeping the quick release in it's locked position. The only down side to this MOD is now the 2 plastic tab's on either side of the quick release are in the wrong direction and don’t or will not lock up against the bimini leg when you have the bimini folded down. No big deal I installed a Velcro strap to hold the arm in position when the bimini is down. This is something I think Bennington might want to take a look at.

bimini.jpg
Thank you for your post. This is a good time to remind all Bennington owmers that bimini tops should not be left open when running at speeds greater that 18 mph or in extreme wind conditions. (Refer to owners manual) We'll pass your suggestion on to our engineering staff! TB

Just curious, how fast were you going? I know about the speed recommendation that TB mentioned. However I always leave my bimini open at all speeds. I have done this with all my boats regardless of mfg recommendations. I too have wondered if this design would give me trouble.

I was going no more than 25. It was pretty rough and the wind was erratic. The Bimini was under tension and then off due to the wind and direction we were going. I’m pretty sure if I had a bit of wind under the bimini pushing up on it this may not have happened because the pull or tension on the bimini would have been holding it in place. I think the fact that there was not wind filling the bimini up gave it the chance to come loose. And that’s why I recommended the black plastic pieces be turned around in the opposite direction.

This is also true for the Small TOW strap bimini supports. When towing we always lower the bimini to the lowest position and use the small towing position. We still wrap a tie down around the Bimini to hold it down because it flops in the wind pretty good. I flipped the Black Plastic pieces around as well because again the release in the direction of tension.

Last edited:
I was going no more than 25. It was pretty rough and the wind was erratic. The Bimini was under tension and then off due to the wind and direction we were going. I’m pretty sure if I had a bit of wind under the bimini pushing up on it this may not have happened because the pull or tension on the bimini would have been holding it in place. I think the fact that there was not wind filling the bimini up gave it the chance to come loose. And that’s why I recommended the black plastic pieces be turned around in the opposite direction.

This is also true for the Small TOW strap bimini supports. When towing we always lower the bimini to the lowest position and use the small towing position. We still wrap a tie down around the Bimini to hold it down because it flops in the wind pretty good. I flipped the Black Plastic pieces around as well because again the relece in the direction of tension.
The way our bimini was set up by the dealer it is always under tension. When putting the top up I have to pull down on the front of the top in order to get the forward arms into the brackets.

Mine is the same as Fyrfightr. It is always very tight.

I understand what you have described so I hope we find a definitive answer. The open part of the latch faces forward but I also have it set up so that I have to pull the top down a couple of inches for it to snap in.If TB thinks it this situation could occur then I would want to turn mine around.

I cracked one of these black plastic things that hold the bimini frame on the boat. Would love to find out where to buy another one.

The way our bimini was set up by the dealer it is always under tension. When putting the top up I have to pull down on the front of the top in order to get the forward arms into the brackets.
Your description of events is directed at the forward frame of a double bimini, right? We have changed this application for 2012 by adding a detention pin w/lanyard to secure the strut latch w/o having to turn the frame around. TB

Pretty sure he's talking about the back. When unfolding the arms for the Bimini, to get the top tight, the front arms won't reach the attachment point, so you have to 'pull down' on the front of the frame to be able to secure the legs and have a fairly tight top. I think that's what he means.

I thought I read in the brochure for my 2005 that the black plastic pieces had a lifetime warranty.
Yes, the black or grey quick release pieces are warrantied for life to the original owner! TB

Here is a pic of the Black Bimin piece that I turned around. I have adjusted the Bimini so its a bit tighter. When the front bimini is up and attached to the rear bimini this is a Non issue.

biminisupport.jpg

Geewest, Other brands of toons have an extra piece screwed to the main support to hold the forward support.Since you lost that capability when you turned yours around you can order the holders from Overton's. Most tops are 1 1/4" so they will fit. Steve

LakeBum: Thanks for the Info thoes look like they will work great.

DSC00767.jpg

I never had any problems with my bimini and I run it up at all speeds and wind conditions. I have a 250 Suzuki so I am going over 40 mph.

I had this happen to me too where do I get a new cross bar for the top? Dealer only and how much are they ? Does Bennington cover it or help out at all on the cost sense the supports really don't work well?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Back