Bimini Top

Ron Heller

Reaction score
Hoping anyone has some ideas for me. My parents are older and are having trouble getting the Bimini top latches to snap in and unsnap on the side rails when putting up the top and taking it down. For me, its just a slight hit to the post and it pops out or in and all good, but their strength isnt there. Aside from getting a PWR-ARM motorized bimini, any ideas to make it easier or replace the black plastic latches with something a bit easier?

Hoping anyone has some ideas for me. My parents are older and are having trouble getting the Bimini top latches to snap in and unsnap on the side rails when putting up the top and taking it down. For me, its just a slight hit to the post and it pops out or in and all good, but their strength isnt there. Aside from getting a PWR-ARM motorized bimini, any ideas to make it easier or replace the black plastic latches with something a bit easier?
Rubber Mallot?

I don’t think you want it that easy because you wouldn’t want it popping out on its own. I’d either second the rubber mallet idea if sticking with the boat, or if they switch to a new boat someday, going with an electric bimini. I’d be worried though if their strength isn’t enough to pop those out, how well do they do docking and securing the boat on their own?

When the parts are new they can be really tough to unlatch. You could lightly sand the actual black catch to make it easier but would need a locking pin to ensure it doesn't pop loose while out in wind and waves, like a pin on a lanyard so can't fall overboard. I added a new front bimini on my first Benny and the new parts were so hard to unlatch we kept a rubber mallet (and a wooden stick to hold lock tab open). And I am not feeble but tired of bruising hand fighting difficult latching parts. Our adult kids even had trouble. I vote for a rubber mallet and a piece of wood dowel for releasing plastic latch.

I don’t think you want it that easy because you wouldn’t want it popping out on its own. I’d either second the rubber mallet idea if sticking with the boat, or if they switch to a new boat someday, going with an electric bimini. I’d be worried though if their strength isn’t enough to pop those out, how well do they do docking and securing the boat on their own?
Well, the pontoon is stored on a powered lift, so docking is a non issue. I am going to look into other manufactures and what kinds of brackets they use. I am sure I will find something. If not a rubber mallet is the option

Well, the pontoon is stored on a powered lift, so docking is a non issue. I am going to look into other manufactures and what kinds of brackets they use. I am sure I will find something. If not a rubber mallet is the option
Rubber mallet is a good idea. Also Potomacbassin modified his with a pin so it can’t pop out if they don’t get it secured.
1620532023844.jpeg
This might be a good option too to avoid accidents. Good luck!

Hey Ron that Bimini top was the biggest complaint my wife had on our old boat. She had a hard time hitting that strut to engage it and disengage it. Maybe you can have it retrofitted with a quick connector like this......

Attachments

• IMG_20210509_151623222.jpg
    IMG_20210509_151623222.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210509_151629601.jpg
    IMG_20210509_151629601.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 29
Yep, just ordered something very similair to that. going to retrofit it. part 270210 and the stainless insert for the poles. I am hoping pulling a pin will be easier for them.

Attachments

• 415mlOUcuuL._AC_SX425_.jpg
    415mlOUcuuL._AC_SX425_.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 270200_group.jpg
    270200_group.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 15
The style used by Bennington is still the best in the business. I’ve tried others and Bennington design is easier than anything else unless it’s powered.

I know that the main bows are formed as one piece for strength that costs a fortune to ship due to their size when ordering replacement parts.

Back