Bird Deterrents

jsur

Reaction score
Does anybody have any good ideas or links to bird deterrents for a Bennington? I see a few other pontoon brands on my lake seem to include the poles and lines similar to a lot of the Cobalts. My cover looks as if it was the only one targeted this past weekend.

My buddy used to put one of those plastic owls on his anchor light pole -- not sure how well it worked.

From what I have seen those plastic owls are a joke.  I see the ducks and geese sitting next to them like they were fishing buddies.  Geese are the worse; one of my friends lives next to a guy that put in an audio deterrent system that was motion activated.  Gave off a blast of a goose distress signal the concept being that when a goose hears it they would scatter.  He said it worked great for about 2 weeks.  Now they just give a little startled jump and then back to business as usual

I let the dog out. He does not even care about them but when they see him they bolt. I have my boat on a covered lift so the boat stays clean. We have a heron sit up on top every once in a while. I scare him off as well. I just don't want the crap on my dock from the ducks and droppings in the yard from the geese. Seems like there are zillions of birds now a days. WTF. Where were all of them when I was 10 with a pellet gun?

This should work ,.177 pellet 

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_Vantage_Breakbarrel_Air_Rifle/1789

remington-vantage-rw1k77x2-177-caliber-air-rifle.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I let the dog out. He does not even care about them but when they see him they bolt. I have my boat on a covered lift so the boat stays clean. We have a heron sit up on top every once in a while. I scare him off as well. I just don't want the crap on my dock from the ducks and droppings in the yard from the geese. Seems like there are zillions of birds now a days. WTF. Where were all of them when I was 10 with a pellet gun?
We're having a much bigger problem with a troupe of ducks this year for some reason. We have a 8x16' platform at the end of the dock with chairs on it and these critters can cover it in black tar/goop in a couple of hours every day. It's a royal pain to get it off of the powder coated crinkle finish aluminum. My Lab doesn't seem to care about them and they apparently don't care about him either. He's more curious than anything. Is there some kind of duck repellent other than shooting them off the dock?

What about running some eye bolts, a piece of rope and something that moved at the other end? We did this to a friends dog kennel in high school. We ran rope from the kennel door to the detached barn, then up to the house. Put some bait in there and waited. That night we caught two deer! We let them go unharmed but it was interesting. Since you work from home Tom that would give you something to do! My wife liks looking at the ducks but they make a mess. I also made a bottle rocket launcher out of an old aluminum arrow with a washer at the end for a launch bad. They sit through the wistle part but can't stand the pop at the end. Works for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice piece for the price .Sometimes Dunhams has them on sale 

I caught a barn swallow in a minnow net Sunday. If the wife wasn't watching I was going to show it how to swim.....

[SIZE=medium]No…just until the bubbles stopped. [/SIZE]

A lot of things have been tried. One that I know works but can be in the way some times

Get some clear fishing line and tie in in different directions over the cover. Or if at a pier from the railing. The birds don't see it as they fly in and they soon learn not to fly anywhere near the pier. it only takes a few crashes for them to learn to stay away.

It works, not messy, cheap and not unsightly. Even you'll have trouble seeing it.

Good Lucl.

A pontoon at my previous marina did the fishing line .

He used some type of re-tractors on his bimini frame .

Appeared to work .

One thing I noticed is that the birds  preferred dark colored boats to drop on .

I was also thinking of some type of modification to my paintball gun to shoot a load of bb's like a mini shotgun. They get low and swoop at my head while on the dock.

The swallows managed to put 2 quarter size spots on my seats the other day that so far aren't coming out. It sure didn't take long for the stains to set. Grrrrrr

That sucks. Let me know if you find something that works on them.

Back