Boat camping

Buoyfriend

Reaction score
We have done a little boat camping (no enclosure here) where we get moorage and just stay on the boat. Once, for a short overnight stay, we just dropped anchor near the shore. The lakes here that are close to home have no infrastructure, just surrounded by forest service.

I know a lot of you on here have water-frontage homes, but for those of you that have done boat camping what has been your experience? Do you go from site to site each night, or just stay in the same place, returning each evening? Do you stay on your boat or set-up camp on shore? What are your essentials to bring?

Love the enclosure idea but really don't like the price tag associated with it.

Would love to hear from anyone as I haven't found a lot of threads that discuss this. (Maybe just missed it??) This would be a shout-out to @bcpnick as I see he has done quite a bit of shore camping at Lake Powell (on my bucket list.)

Thanks!

Camping is almost exclusively what I use my boat for. Usually 5-6 nights at a time. I spend most of my nights on Lake Powell though, so it may be a bit different than lake camping back east. Can you just beach and camp on the shore where you're at?

I have an enclosure but I won't use it unless it's winter or there are days worth of storms lined up. The rest of the time we keep a tent on shore in case things get too rowdy. There have been a few times when I woke up in the middle of the night to rain on my face and had to grab my bedding and wander to the tent. Sometimes the enclosure would be nice for one storm, but it's too much of a PITA to put up and take down unless it can stay up for a while. And when the sun comes out, it's like being in a greenhouse (perfect in December). 

If you're in a really buggy area, sleeping tent-less on the boat might be a problem. Out here there are occasional gnats but they only come around when you leave a light on. We typically turn on the red interior LEDs and kick back and watch the stars in bug-free bliss. Bats frequently swoop through but I like them. 

We typically stick with one campsite for the whole trip. That way we can just unload the boat into camp and have a lighter, emptier boat to zip around in. Sometimes we'll do a stealth camp the first night where we just beach and sleep on the boat, but that's only if we feel pretty good about the weather. 

If I didn't have dogs, I'd definitely consider just dropping an anchor now and then, but they seem reluctant to use the portapotti, so camping on shore is a must. I've been thinking about doing a few nights out on Yellowstone Lake next year and if we do that, we'll probably just anchor up since we can't bring the dogs. 

I've learned a million things about boat camping over the last couple years from tents to stoves to toilet systems, so if you have more questions, just ask. I feel like we have our system pretty dialed in. 

What part of the country are you in?

A few of my favorite boat camping campsites. :)

reflection-28.jpg

glen-canyon-may-2015-41.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

powell-august-lg-39.jpg

powell-july-7.jpg

Seen a few of those pics before but........Wow again!!!

I've been to Lake Powell 5 times.  It's my absolute favorite lake and should be on everyone's bucket list.  Here's a pic I took from my beach campsite last year in September.  We did a houseboat trip with about 15 guys.

gallery_6945_871_1759008.jpg

Funny thing, I grew up in Southern Utah and went to Powell once the summer before high school started. Have always wanted to go with my kids, and have tried to convince my DH that a trip there is a good idea, but he is a little bit afraid of the long drive (800+ miles one way). I think it would be a great adventure! And those pictures, OMG! I am afraid I would be addicted to Lake Powell and need to go more than once in a life-time :)

Wow bcpnick, your pics give me the "iwannas".  Powell has been on our bucketlist for a long time and these pics are helping to move it to the top.  We live in Oregon but have the rig for the long haul.  We also are river runners so have the tents stoves and toilet system as well as the understanding of the work involved in planning and executing a trip like this.  Please tell me more about logistics;  launching, parking the tow rig, fuel for the Benny, anchoring and mooring, favorite camp sites, favorite places to see, etc.  Do you have any secrets to minimizing the wear and tear on your Benny?  Do you have any advice on how to minimize the amount of travel time and fuel that you spend on the water, while maximizing the ground that you cover and the sights that you get to see?  Is September a good time to go?   Thanks for any info that you're willing to give up!

All bcpnick is absolutely correct Lake Powell is a gem. I have many years of great memories of weeks spent exploring the lake. It is in a class of its own. You do need to be careful and understand it is a lake that can produce waves and water only seen on the ocean but if you are aware of this and respect it, it is a play ground that never disappoints. I have wanted to take my kids to Powell for many years but a trek of that distance, Missouri to Bullfrog or Halls wood be very time consuming. If you can, do it by all means, you will not be disappointed. Just do a lot of research and know what you are getting into. You truly are in the wilderness when you leave the marina.

I have contemplated boat camping, but the family would not do it.  I may end up doing it some day solo or with a buddy.  Recently, while setting up my mooring cover, i only covered the front seats back to the console, would make for a decent sleeping cover in the event of rain.  I have a 1000 W inverter and a small gas grill, so food prep is covered.  A porta potti is on the gotta get it list.  Several times a year we trailer camp and bring the boat with us, a few Ohio lakes have dedicated boat ramps and beaches at the campground.

I have contemplated boat camping, but the family would not do it.  I may end up doing it some day solo or with a buddy.  Recently, while setting up my mooring cover, i only covered the front seats back to the console, would make for a decent sleeping cover in the event of rain.  I have a 1000 W inverter and a small gas grill, so food prep is covered.  A porta potti is on the gotta get it list.  Several times a year we trailer camp and bring the boat with us, a few Ohio lakes have dedicated boat ramps and beaches at the campground.

I know that there are covers made specifically for this, but I bought a 8' x 10' tarp that would hopefully, look decent for a temp camping cover. I thought about attaching it to the front of the bimini, then forward, and attach to front with my mooring lines that are connected to the cleats on starboard and port bow. I could pull it slightly to keep it taught, which would make for a great cover, keeping dew and bird crap off of the bed roll. Something like this but a little more rustic and a whole lot cheaper. $15 rather than $170.

9404765.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back