Boat Cleats

JAMS

Reaction score
Has anyone changed out from the standard cleat to the fold down cleat or pop up cleat? If so do the mounting holes match up with the standard cleat holes, if not and you have to drill new holes will the cleat cover up the existing holes.

I don’t remember any of the details, but I swear someone posted about switching from regular to pop up a few years ago. Have you tried searching in the forum to see if you find an old post about this topic?

I don’t remember any of the details, but I swear someone posted about switching from regular to pop up a few years ago. Have you tried searching in the forum to see if you find an old post about this topic?
I looked but could not find a post.

I swapped out two of mine when I replaced the front rub rail to pop up type. The ones I picked up had the same bolt pattern but I had to drill for holes for the cleat to drop down in. Simple to do just make sure your drill path is clear underneath. I used these and they work great, look much better and nobody has stumped any toes. Back ones will need to be relocated and I don’t want to do that at this time, maybe when I ever replace the rear corner rub rails? These came from boat outfitter.

Hope this helps?

Attachments

• BC6418D3-6828-4610-8018-1A31AE9DD84F.jpeg
    BC6418D3-6828-4610-8018-1A31AE9DD84F.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 57

I did this upgrade 3 years ago. Totally worth it in my opinion.

Thanks Davey. I believe your thread was the one I was thinking of from a few years ago. Thanks for sharing the link with the OP.

Just completed replacing the standard cleats with Attwood Stainless Steel Neat Cleats 6". These are the same ones Bennington uses they just don't have Bennington in graved on them. Overton part #314628 which equals the MFG and Bennington part #66517-7 (cost much less than ordering from Bennington). Tools required are: a step up bit to start the enlarging of the existing holes, 1 inch drill bit (used instead of a hole saw) much easier, bit lube oil, 1 1/4 deep socket (used for the bow cleats) and here is the catch, that socket will not work for the stern cleats it is to big to get up underneath and tighten the nut, so get a 1 inch master plumber shower wrench ($20 amazon for a set) takes a little over an hour.

Just replace the two front cleats with Bennington brand retractable cleats, now starting on the aft. It looks like I need to drill out 4 rivots along edge to remove what is blocking my effort. I have a 2021 R23. Does anyone have experience in doing this? I hate to start drilling out rivots if I don't need to.

Just replace the two front cleats with Bennington brand retractable cleats, now starting on the aft. It looks like I need to drill out 4 rivots along edge to remove what is blocking my effort. I have a 2021 R23. Does anyone have experience in doing this? I hate to start drilling out rivots if I don't need to.
Terry do you. have a pic. There where no rivots on mine but the skirting did over lap. I just installed over the overlap. very small gap you don't even notice it.

I'll get a picture, but I'm 2 weeks away from a lake trip. On mine, there is no way to get to the bottom of the cleat (bolts & nuts) without removing a shield, kind of an L shaped thing about 8 feet long. Thanks for the reply.

Back