Boat draft

Goofy25

Reaction score
Does anyone know the approximate draft on a 2550 RCB with a Yamaha 250?

I'd say somewhere around 24".

Good to have a safety zone but I can speak from experience as I dented my prop a couple of weeks ago on a boulder that I believe was less than 2' under water

That is because you had 25 people on your boat partying Link, Your draft is closer to 3'

That's what I like about you Lakeliving, always has a great answer  :) .  Wish I could meet you in person.  Perhaps someday I will get out your and Jacks way

Come out anytime! Summer is a lot nicer though

Please excuse the ignorance, but what are you talking about when you mention "draft". I thought that's what I was doing when I ride real close to the cyclist in front of me.  :huh:

Please excuse the ignorance, but what are you talking about when you mention "draft". I thought that's what I was doing when I ride real close to the cyclist in front of me.  :huh:
How much  boat is under the waterline or under the water.

Ok... thanks. But now I don't understand why would you factory i the draft to set your depth finder any lower than necessary to avoid the bottom, if the depth finder is going to stay at the bottom of the toon, it seems that the draft wouldn't matter as long as you are going by the reading. 

I would never trust a depth finder to be 100% accurate, plus it's at the rear, and at 22-24' from the front of the toons, depending on shoreline, that could change drastically. We have shelfs on our lake, that can vary 3-8 feet from front to rear of toon. I have mine set at 3', to be safe, then I slowly advance and visually verify depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok... thanks. But now I don't understand why would you factory i the draft to set your depth finder any lower than necessary to avoid the bottom, if the depth finder is going to stay at the bottom of the toon, it seems that the draft wouldn't matter as long as you are going by the reading. 
You set the Chartplotter to read 2' less so you don't have to do the math in your head :blink:   

I haven't found any Stella in a draft yet, just bottles!! :lol:     My boat only drafts about 14" or so to the bottom of the tune, motor wise I'd plan on at least 2' to be safe if not closer to 3'. we anchor up on a sandbar that's only about 24-30" deep and I can just get enough of the motor in to push myself out.

I thought it was called "draw". Evidently is means the same thing but I haven't heard that particular terminology used before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back