Boat lift canopy length needed for Ben 20 sxf

Djohnson7515

Reaction score
Hello
I just purchased a new Bennington 20 SXF with 90 Merc (still at dealer) and ordered a boat lift yesterday.
The boat length specs say 20’ 11.5” before motor is put on, but appears motor when half trimmed up comes comes back and overlaps part of that above length.

Do you think I should get a 24 foot canopy or a 26 foot (as Shore Station only comes in 2 ft increments).

Thanks in advance,
Dave

I would get the 26ft, just in case you want to upgrade your Bennington down the road.

Thanks…. I am guessing since we have to go thru a rather long winding channel to get to the other 2 lakes in our chain and since our family of 4 is rather small….i think the 20 boat will suit our needs.
So with that said, is a 24 ft adequate or would you still recommend a 26ft. I just want to do it right up front.
Thanks in advance

Can you take a measurement at the dealer with the motor trimmed ?

Well they have not mounted the motor yet.
My other comment was referring to a picture I saw of another boat…..so I agree with you that would be the ideal situation.

I did just order Friday Shorestation 4000lb hydraulic lift and dealer thought 24ft would be ok… but not sure

Does your dealer have another 20 with a 90 mounted? Not sure but a115 may be the same size.

Welcome to the family!

If money isn’t a factor, I’d personally go with the 26’ length. The extra 3’ on both ends will give you better protection from the sun and rain.

Be sure and post some pics once you get her home!

To add to the above two points of view - storms on an angle, or sun angle, it’d be nice to have it tucked in with some canopy to spare to cover that. We have a 24’ Bennington. With our original lift, we went with a 30’ canopy to have the extra cover. We ended up selling it after 2 years to make a switch to Sea Legs, but at the time, that extra canopy length was GREAT!

Thanks to all of you for your responses and really appreciate the input.
Just have to ask as the cottage is in Norther WI and the lift will have to be removed annually, but I suppose it’s harder to take off & put back on a canopy the longer it is away from the boat deck ? That’s what I read anyway.

Just have to ask as the cottage is in Norther WI and the lift will have to be removed annually, but I suppose it’s harder to take off & put back on a canopy the longer it is away from the boat deck ? That’s what I read anyway.
This is true. It was a PITA taking off and putting on that HEAVY canopy cover. I don’t miss it at all in that regard. It is a multi-person job.

I remove my canopy (very easy coming off) then I watched a Youtube video on how to fold your canopy to store and make it easy to install. Not as easy as removal but not hard to install. I do it my self.

I have a 20 SSRCXP with a Yamaha 115. The overall length of my boat with the motor trimmed down is right at 23 feet. My boathouse (floating enclosed canopy) was designed for a smaller boat so I have 2 feet sticking out past my cover. :(

I'm working to get approval to extend my boathouse another few feet so I am fully covered. If you don't have to deal with getting approval from a marina or club and the increased cost isn't significant I would go for the 26 ft. Move coverage from the sun/wind/rain is always a good thing.

My canopy is longer than my boat, but I’m able to reach out and attach/remove with not too much effort. In reality, 3’ isn’t all that far, particularly when you’re able to stand on the bow/stern deck. Of course, if you’re not comfortable with it, by all means, go shorter.

Hello
I just purchased a new Bennington 20 SXF with 90 Merc (still at dealer) and ordered a boat lift yesterday.
The boat length specs say 20’ 11.5” before motor is put on, but appears motor when half trimmed up comes comes back and overlaps part of that above length.

Do you think I should get a 24 foot canopy or a 26 foot (as Shore Station only comes in 2 ft increments).

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Dave, I assume you are i talking about the cover for storage. If you are, then this should come with your new boat. If your talking about the canopy that is used for shade when you are out in your boat, that also should come with your new boat or the dealer could recommend what size you need.

To the last person commenting, I am taking about the length of a Shore Station lift canopy, not the cover that comes with the boat or the sunshade on the boat. I really wish to thank all of the insight that everyone has provided and still have time to change my order and go with a 26 ft canopy for my new 20 ft SXF, which is about a $400 decision (vs 24 ft ) on a new lift for the canopy frame extension + larger canopy.
I am fairly protected on the SW shore of a lake.
I suppose $400 is a drop in the bucket vs total cost of package.
Thanks to all !

Back