Boat lift

Thanks for the replies! Think I'm going to give it a shot. Talked to several people about the treated wood issue. Most contractors say it is never a problem if the wood is covered in carpet. Any thoughts there?

Yianni what about that owl?!? Worth getting 1 or 2 ?!? We had those herons crap on my nice black cover last year and I want to deter them this year.....
Yes, definitely worth getting. The key is you have to move them around every couple of days so they don't just sit in the same spot. Get them now though, last summer everyone was out of them.

Yes, definitely worth getting. The key is you have to move them around every couple of days so they don't just sit in the same spot. Get them now though, last summer everyone was out of them.
Thx! I also have a couple of flashy streamer like things that will move in the wind to hopefully scare them away!

I’ve use rubber snakes back in my Atlanta days, worked perfect for Georgia birds, but I know herons eat snakes so don’t know about those fellas. I’m gonna order some right now for boat coming Friday.

Thanks for the replies! Think I'm going to give it a shot. Talked to several people about the treated wood issue. Most contractors say it is never a problem if the wood is covered in carpet. Any thoughts there?
I have heard that too. However, I always struggle to understand how wet carpet is a sufficient barrier. I also left chemistry and science behind in high school, so there’s that. :D

I leaned into why even take the chance back in 2017 when we got a lift. I had metal bunks on our old lift just to be extra certain.

Order some plastic or vinyl wrap for boat bunks. I would not trust anything less. Wood preservative treatment is not the same as it used to be. Maybe less harsh maybe not, why risk it?

I have an owl on one post of my lift. In 9 seasons, never had any bird crap on the canopy.
Thx Joeb! That's what I want to hear! I had a hell of a time constantly cleaning that S#$& up last year! White S$#@ on a black cover do not go well!

Tractor Supply sells them. Got them in garages that don't have doors over at my Moms. Keeps the birds out.
Guess I'll go there later today!!!

Thx Joeb! That's what I want to hear! I had a hell of a time constantly cleaning that S#$& up last year! White S$#@ on a black cover do not go well!
The one I bought is hollow. To mount, I just drilled holes top and bottom, used a length of threaded rod run up through the holes, double nutted top and bottom, and then put the long end of the rod through a small clip angle screwed to the lift post. Got it higher than the top of the canopy, and wobbly enough to look somewhat lifelike.

Back