Boat soaked after rain

Hawklakebenny

Reaction score
I've noticed that even with the playpen cover on and tensioned properly, the boat is soaked after it rains. I've treated the cover with 303 fabric guard, and it still is soaked enough that the cup holders in the table are full of water?

Any suggestions?

Boy that does sound like a lot.  When you applied the 303 Fabric Protector how much did you use?  I always apply a second heavy coat on the seams as well

Even if you didn't have ANY 303 on the cover it still shouldn't leak through that much where it would fill a cupholder. Gotta be leaking on a seam or a tear somewhere.....

The entire boat is soaked, dash, all seats, carpet. Makes us wonder what's the point of covering for the night if it won't keep the water off.

Call your dealer! That's ridiculous......

Agree with Big Kahuna, contact your dealer.  Is this a new boat?

Sounds like your dock is under a waterfall!

If I'm caught in a rain, the storage areas under the seats get lots of water in them. I had to pull everything out on Sunday after getting caught in a rain storm on Saturday. I haven't noticed water getting in the boat with the mooring cover on, though.

I have never left mine in the rain even covered. We keep it in a covered slip at the marina. I am curios to those of you who do leave it out with the cover on how well the cover should keep the water out. Just in case I ever have to.

My cover keeps the boat dry, even in the heaviest of rains. I applied a full gallon of 303 Protectant this season, worked better than I thought it ever would. After 2 seasons, prior to the application of the 303, the cover had lost some of it’s repellency.

The boat was bought brand new in June. 2015. The dealer said to do a water test and video it. Then send it to him. As even he said it should keep majority of the water out. Surlast said to him they are water resistant not waterproof.

I have never left mine in the rain even covered. We keep it in a covered slip at the marina. I am curios to those of you who do leave it out with the cover on how well the cover should keep the water out. Just in case I ever have to.
My cover is 11 yrs. old. I have treated it over the years with several different products to keep its water repellancy. It's faded as hell but it has done the job of keeping the interior looking new. The only water that gets in is from the built in air vents. Other than that it's pretty solid.....

My cover is 11 yrs. old. I have treated it over the years with several different products to keep its water repellancy. It's faded as hell but it has done the job of keeping the interior looking new. The only water that gets in is from the built in air vents. Other than that it's pretty solid.....
Has anyone had their mooring cover dyed?

I'd be too nervous of it bleeding afterwards. Especially with red it would look like an Aztec sacrifice took place on your seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm caught in a rain, the storage areas under the seats get lots of water in them. I had to pull everything out on Sunday after getting caught in a rain storm on Saturday. I haven't noticed water getting in the boat with the mooring cover on, though.
We keep everything under the seats in plastic bins with covers on them, solves the wet problem. Better designed seat bases is the best cure. 

We keep everything under the seats in plastic bins with covers on them, solves the wet problem. Better designed seat bases is the best cure. 
There are drain holes in the seat bases to let water out, are your drains covered by something? Or check to see that the holes have been drilled, some times the strangest things get overlooked at the factory.

Has anyone had their mooring cover dyed?
Just saw this Link......My cover is actually in good shape but it is faded as hell. I have been to several canvas shops in Virginia and in NC and asked if they could just dye it instead of manufacturing a new one. It would look a lot better and probably give me a few more years of usable life........every single one said.........No........each one said that they have never done it (hard to believe) and that a new cover would be a better option. (Yeah for them)

On different 303 fabric guard products, right from the manufacturer....

"Thank you for contacting Gold Eagle Co. While there are a couple different labels for 303® Aerospace Protectant, each bottle has the exact same formula. We sell to a couple different channels and have labeled the product as such. If you have any further questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact us."

"Does the same thing apply to the Fabric Guard?"

"Yes, the same applies to 303 Fabric Guard. Again, feel free to let us know of any other questions you may have."

I also found that while the fabric guard worked well, when I observed my boat during a heavy rain I had places where water would pool and then leak big time. This was a surprise to me because it didn't look like it should have pooled at these spots. I ended up putting in 2 boat cover support posts to correct the problem until winter when I'll take it to the canvas shop and add another standard playpen post position.

Back