Boating on the weekend vs. the week ........

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Just got back from a quick afternoon Monday cruise here on Lake Norman. What a difference from Sunday! Spent most of yesterday dodging the jet skis, and navigating the windy, relatively rough water of the main channel. Had to go hide out in a calm cove near our house. ...............Today was a different story. Except for the bass boats we practically had the lake to ourselves. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

Same at your lake?!?

We were out yesterday as well and they shut the lake down around 10 due to being at capacity. I hear you on the dodging jet skis, novice boaters that don't even know what a no-wake zone means. I did get in some wakeboarding though early before it got too crazy. Outside temp was around 89 and water was in the 50's. Going out again tomorrow and will hopefully have the same experience as you did today. Happy Boating!!!

Yeah, I never take the boat out on the weekend. The wife and I take a daily walk at the lake to get some exercise but only Mon-Fri.  The tourists and weekend warriors can have the lake for two days, I'm perfectly happy with the other five when they're gone.

We go out whenever we can. If it gets too busy we'll anchor and watch the madness. Plus living on the water we can always zip back in. 

Calling for rain up here for the first time in well over a week .Wont have to consider it .

We are fortunate, our lake is relatively quiet all the time - even on holiday weekends!  We are 400 acres but only about 120 riparian owners. It is an all sports lake, but the township has zoned all township lakes as "no high speed boating from 7:30 pm to 11:00 am". There is a public ramp but it is has a small lot so not many day boaters come in. There are probably more kayakers than skiers. 

Yep, Havasu can be a zoo on the summer weekends and holidays.  I pretty much never launch during those times.  Boating midweek is so much more relaxing and enjoyable.  Sunday afternoons aren't too bad as most of the weekend warrior crowd has gone in but even that's a rarity for us.  On the busy weekends/holidays, I lounge by the pool.

Sounds about like bird lake up by hillsdale, mi.  There is a 7:00pm -? no wake time and it IS enforced.

We went there a few times with our bayliner just to cruise around.  We ended up out on the water a few times after 7 and all you see is the residents around the lake coming out to sunset cruise on their pontoons.....wasn't to bad for us since cruising is our main thing anyway.

Yep, Havasu can be a zoo on the summer weekends and holidays.  I pretty much never launch during those times.  Boating midweek is so much more relaxing and enjoyable.  Sunday afternoons aren't too bad as most of the weekend warrior crowd has gone in but even that's a rarity for us.  On the busy weekends/holidays, I lounge by the pool.

Spring break in Havasu is always top notch

We normally go out during the week, but will get out on the weekends too.  The lake has been pretty empty but that will all come to an end this weekend.  Memorial to Labor day is a zoo out here.  But being we are in the vacation home rental business, we welcome the vacationers :)

I boat on Truman in Missouri.  The lake is 55,000 acres and when I go out during the week in the summer  I can have a large portion of the lake to myself. It is incredible since there no homes or piers on the lake you are just over taken by the pure nature.

Last edited by a moderator:
We go out whenever we can. If it gets too busy we'll anchor and watch the madness. Plus living on the water we can always zip back in. 

Living on the water... yeah, yeah rub it in! :(

We definitely want to get to Havasu with the new Benny but not on Memorial weekend.

Ha ... Boat wen in April 1st .... Been out twice. EVERY weekend since has been either cold or rain !! This has been the worse year for weather since we started boating. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Saturdays looking like hot and sunny (figures I'm running a 5K) but might get out by noon. Then crap weather after that. 

We were out yesterday as well and they shut the lake down around 10 due to being at capacity. I hear you on the dodging jet skis, novice boaters that don't even know what a no-wake zone means. I did get in some wakeboarding though early before it got too crazy. Outside temp was around 89 and water was in the 50's. Going out again tomorrow and will hopefully have the same experience as you did today. Happy Boating!!!

The "no wake zone" means $300 if you get caught and a ticket on The Rez or the Pearl River. Problem is that most don't get caught. That rule is for "everyone else", anyway.    :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup one of my biggest pet peeves on the water...........people not observing the No Wake zone! I don't know if they're not paying attention or just don't see the buoy...........I've seen people ski/tube/wakeboard through them before like nothing's wrong! Another peeve is jet skiiers getting too close to jump your wake or another boat/jet ski getting behind you when you're pulling skiiers/tubers/wake boarders.

Maybe I should start a pet peeve or what bugs you on the water thread?!?

I anchor at a sand bar ,obvious no wake zone .Get under to clean the tubes and then some joker ( being very polite )  goes flying by .

I boat on Truman in Missouri.  The lake is 55,000 acres and when I go out during the week in the summer  I can have a large portion of the lake to myself. It is incredible since there no homes or piers on the lake you are just over taken by the pure nature.

Wow, that's one big lake! We boat on Houghton Lake in Northern Michigan which I thought was large at 22,000 acres. Except for major holidays, you can usually find an area all to yourself. We also have quite a few canals to putt up and down. 

We definitely want to get to Havasu with the new Benny but not on Memorial weekend.

Yep that's very smart.  Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day are all weekends to avoid.  One of the nicest times is late September into October.  Kids are back in school and most of the boating crowd has put their boats away.  Water is still quite warm (80ish) and the daytime temps around 100-105.  One of my favorite times to be on the lake.

My pet peeve is boats with no lights. Or the bass guys that find it necessary to go 70mph in the dark to get back to the ramp. 

Back