Bottom Metal Coming Off

Crobby

Reaction score
Anyone ever heard or experienced this? Appears screws just came out which when running bent back metal due to water flow. To make it even worse severed the feed cable to the simrad (no water temp or depth reading now). Assume my Benny friends will warranty but just a pain. called dealer who is on a different lake where I purchased boat and got punted to the dealer on my lake who I’m told was not a Benny dealer at the time of my purchase. Even though I was assured when I bought the boat sending out one of the reps for warranty issues would never be a problem. That’s a whole other issue. He tells me they don’t get reimbursed from Benny for their trip charges (hour and fifteen drive). Blah blah.

Attachments

• 061284A3-17E6-4C03-ADEF-C0F84EC7D04B.jpeg
    061284A3-17E6-4C03-ADEF-C0F84EC7D04B.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 92
  • 84776CF6-4E26-4035-878D-40DEA2F2D924.jpeg
    84776CF6-4E26-4035-878D-40DEA2F2D924.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 90
Anyone ever heard or experienced this? Appears screws just came out which when running bent back metal due to water flow. To make it even worse severed the feed cable to the simrad (no water temp or depth reading now). Assume my Benny friends will warranty but just a pain. called dealer who is on a different lake where I purchased boat and got punted to the dealer on my lake who I’m told was not a Benny dealer at the time of my purchase. Even though I was assured when I bought the boat sending out one of the reps for warranty issues would never be a problem. That’s a whole other issue. He tells me they don’t get reimbursed from Benny for their trip charges (hour and fifteen drive). Blah blah.
Son of a gun, never seen that. Out of curiosity, what year and model do you have? Should be a straight forward warranty claim, minus figuring out which dealer ship is managing and repairing the claim.

He tells me they don’t get reimbursed from Benny for their trip charges (hour and fifteen drive). Blah blah.
Just like Ford will not pay to have a mechanic come to your home to perform a warranty repair on your car.
Pretty standard stuff.
If a dealer does offer that service, they are eating that expense.

Sure, I can drive my Benntington down the highway same as my Ford. Your analogy makes sense.

Son of a gun, never seen that. Out of curiosity, what year and model do you have? Should be a straight forward warranty claim, minus figuring out which dealer ship is managing and repairing the claim.
2017 SX 24 (think) Yammy 2 hundy.

If you have are dealers issues ,you can contact Bennington with the link below.
This forum is not the place to discuss dealer issues .

If you have are dealers issues ,you can contact Bennington with the link below.
This forum is not the place to discuss dealer issues .

Thanks for link. My point (and it was a side note) per the subject line to the dealer was a fact, not an issue.

Reread your post and the terms of use .

Last edited:
I am surprised this does not happen more often on any Tritoon. Go to any manufacturers sales brochures and you will see dramatic photos of boats at speed. I call these photos the money shots. The turbulent white water extruded thru the narrow space between the tubes makes the boats look like rocket ships. Looking at the photos in more detail one can see the see that the under deck sheeting (wave shield) is exposed to high hydrodynamic forces. Tritoons appear to be planing on the so called wave shield. I am surprised that we do not hear more about failure in this area - but we don’t. If it where more common we would probably hear about it on this forum.
1656346458988.jpeg

With overlapping plates fastened with rivets or screws, I see no problems. Airplanes and hydrofoils use this and have almost zero issues. I would think either a screwup on build or a hit by debris.

With overlapping plates fastened with rivets or screws, I see no problems. Airplanes and hydrofoils use this and have almost zero issues. I would think either a screwup on build or a hit by debris.
It makes sense that the under deck sheeting would have the same construction as other products that have lifting surfaces. While it appears that the under deck sheeting is skimming across the water the three toons are… well not so much. Hmm makes you think.
1656355699233.jpeg

Sure, I can drive my Benntington down the highway same as my Ford. Your analogy makes sense.
If that is your sarcastic way of saying that I am wrong, by all means look into it further and report back later. ;)

It makes sense that the under deck sheeting would have the same construction as other products that have lifting surfaces. While it appears that the under deck sheeting is skimming across the water the three toons are… well not so much. Hmm makes you think.
View attachment 32962

The wave shield is getting hammered by water for sure, and while I haven't looked lately I'm pretty sure the panels are shingled so they're not getting torn off. Agree with Timdelta had to be some strike with debris or install issue - but I doubt this would come from the factory this way. Maybe the dealer took off the wave shield for some service then re-installed it incorrectly.

Wow! Never saw damage like that! I can see 1 or 2 screws/rivets coming loose but not the whole panel! I understand your frustration about your original selling dealer telling you to go to the Benny dealer on your lake for service but doesn't that make it easier for you?!? I know you said they would send a rep out for warranty issues but this looks like a job that needs to be done in the shop especially fishing the new transducer wire up to the Simrad. Taking it to the dealer on your lake is better than towing your Benny 1.25 hrs. away.

I would take to whomever could address the issues the soonest. Which should be the selling dealer.

Back