Bottom Paint

Keys21slx

Reaction score
Best Bottom paint for a 21SLX sitting in saltwater ? First painting since new in 2014 Help Thanks.

So this is a late reply, but figured i would answer it for anyone else who might be looking. I have a 2013 22' SLX in saltwater, slip moored through the season and trailer stored over the winter. I use and am very happy with Petit HRT/ECO bottom paint. I have the boat painted by the dealer and this is the paint that both of my local dealers use. I have had great success with it. According to Petit the bottom only requires touch up painting where the paint wore off rather than requiring a full repaint every year. However, i have mine repainted every year for added protection. They also said that there is no issue with this paint sitting out of the water on a trailer for 4-5 months a year which is an added bonus. Here is a link to the paint being discussed https://www.pettitpaint.com/ECOHRT

From my understanding the most important thing when selecting bottom paint for a pontoon is to avoid any paint that contains copper.

If the boat is stored in salt water, IMO, Bottom painting is a MUST.

Personally i get my boat painted by a local dealer, rather than doing it myself, it is just easier since they can lift the whole boat off the trailer and can paint it much quicker than i can. Here on the east coast it costs about $356 to have a 22' pontoon painted (each year) or about $16 per foot. it used to be about $12 per foot a few years ago.

Hope this helps. Happy boating.

So this is a late reply, but figured i would answer it for anyone else who might be looking. I have a 2013 22' SLX in saltwater, slip moored through the season and trailer stored over the winter. I use and am very happy with Petit HRT/ECO bottom paint. I have the boat painted by the dealer and this is the paint that both of my local dealers use. I have had great success with it. According to Petit the bottom only requires touch up painting where the paint wore off rather than requiring a full repaint every year. However, i have mine repainted every year for added protection. They also said that there is no issue with this paint sitting out of the water on a trailer for 4-5 months a year which is an added bonus. Here is a link to the paint being discussed https://www.pettitpaint.com/ECOHRT

From my understanding the most important thing when selecting bottom paint for a pontoon is to avoid any paint that contains copper.

If the boat is stored in salt water, IMO, Bottom painting is a MUST.

Personally i get my boat painted by a local dealer, rather than doing it myself, it is just easier since they can lift the whole boat off the trailer and can paint it much quicker than i can. Here on the east coast it costs about $356 to have a 22' pontoon painted (each year) or about $16 per foot. it used to be about $12 per foot a few years ago.

Hope this helps. Happy boating.
That seems like a very reasonable cost for getting it painted annual. I am up north in fresh water, but for those looking, this is some good info!

Back