Broken Bimini again

Dgj

Reaction score
Last summer my front Bimini main bow bent from a side gust of wind not terrible just bent past the point of fixing. I replaced it with a new one and went on. today the rear frame main bow totally collapsed while cruising at about 30 mph. I came a around a corner into an open area and was hit with maybe a 15 mph head wind suddenly. The bad part was it hit my wife in the head while she was laying on the back lounger Possibly a mild concussion.
But the point of all this is my boat is a 2010 And the wall thickness on the new front frame I received is twice as thick as what my boat had originally. Has anyone had similar issues with the older tops or was there ever a recall from Bennington on the frames. if the boat industry even does such a thing

It broke clean on both sides where the first bracket is mounted for the shorter bows

I had a 2004 R. Never had a problem with the Bimini and the thickness of the struts/frame is the same as the current models. Could it have been an aftermarket add-on???

Technically and per the label the Bimini should not be used above 15mph.

it is the factory double Bimini. The outer diameter of the tube is the same but the wall thickness is double on the new ones making the inner diameter smaller on the new tops.
it could have been much worse but luckily it wasn’t.

Technically and per the label the Bimini should not be used above 15mph.
On my 2019 double Bimini the stickers say not to exceed 30mph, so it’s possible they’ve increased the thickness on the newer models.

Good to know!

The bad part was it hit my wife in the head while she was laying on the back lounger Possibly a mild concussion.
Yikes! Obviously that could have resulted in a serious injury so glad that didn't happen.

Back