Bumpers, how many do you carry?

jraines

Reaction score
So we have 4 6.5x22 currently but given the length of the boat and wanting to keep it nice, I have 4 slightly smaller ones 5.5x20 I'm considering carrying. We live in Dallas and our outings are mostly day trips tying up and floating with friends and occasionally docking. Suggestions please.

I have 3 evenly spaced on each side.........so 6 total.

4 of the 8.5 x 27 , 2 per side when needed .

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products%C2%AE-Fenders-Protection/dp/B0095WPO5A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1440497747&sr=8-4&keywords=8.5+x+27+bumpers&pebp=1440497752693&perid=1D105BGFXTXG3FW4N4TD

31io4xROnIL.jpg

Since I now own this slip at the marina 
i have added these  to the mooring posts, they are 24 x 5 x 2.5 

21ZURdXQ4%2BL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two 8/12 x 27 on each side that are attached to EZ Fenders. They are down when my boat is docked at our slip which has a finger on each side.  The finger only comes out to about the helm so a third would do nothing. These fenders never come into the boat as when we are underway we simply raise the EZ Fender to the top.  They look good as we matched the color to our boat [cranberry & black].  We then also carry 4 of the same size fenders under the seats as we do a lot of rafting up with friends.  

2 per side. I think you would want a minimum of 2 per side in case you have to dock somewhere such as getting gas. I have had the situation where when docked getting gas another boat would pull up on the other side. The 2 on the opposite side you are docked at will give you protection from the other boat bumping into yours.

Yeah, I would tell them to get lost or wait. Nobody is just going to pull up and think they are going to tie up to my boat. Your boat is not a public dock!

I usually use 4 on a side when I tie up over night or to another boat. I sometime use 3 but no less. I'm a pretty mechanical guy, but I don't want to learn how to replace a log, or even pay for as swap out, bumpers are cheap!

I keep a few spares deflated onboard in storage. And a small sports ball hand pump to inflate them if needed.

So I sent back the 5.5" x 20 fenders and got 4 of the 8.5 x 26 fenders. After tying up with a fellow Bennington owner and seeing the size difference and separation between our boats (he already had 8.5's) it was a no brainier. Now I have 4 6.5's as extras. Thank you guys for the advice, I would have never gone this big before asking.

I carry four. I don't dock on both sides at once. If you do dock with someone else, I would think they would have some on their boat as well. If not, then I wouldn't dock with them. Or whatever you call it when you tie your boat to someone else's.

I carry 4 of the 5.5 x 20 bumpers.  I do have 3 E-Z fenders on each side.

Back