Bunk for pontoon trailer

newboater

Reaction score
I ordered a 2012 2275 GCW about two weeks ago. I upgraded to the 32" elliptical pontoons. For whatever reason I decided to purchase the trailer from pontoon stuff instead of buying from the dealer. Pontoon stuff put totally flat bunks on the trailer. They said it was because of the elliptical pontoons. I have never owned a boat before and have no idea if this is right. I thought the bunks should always be V shaped to hold the boat. Am I wrong? Also, it's a tandem axle trailer with only one axle having drum brakes. Is this fine or should I just return it and get a trailer through the dealer that has disc brakes. Can anyone please help me on this?

Welcome to the forum. I have the 32" eliptical center tube but honestly cannot remember the shape of the center bunk. I believe that it is at a slight angle, may be 10 degrees or so. I would think that with totally flat bunks it would make it easy for the boat to shift on the trailer and make it very difficult to load. Talk to a dealer and find out what kind of a bunk they use or call a trailer company like Shorelander and see what they recommend. I have a tandem axle trailer with drum brakes on one axle and it works fine.

Let us know what you find out.

Our bunks for our elliptical toons are at a very slight v. Not as much as our old too n trailer, but certainly not flat...

Just uploaded a picture of the bunks on my trailer. I have ellipitical pontoons. Actually the trailer is for a tritoon so you can see the bunks empty and under one of the pontoons. Flat bunks are certainly not right! If it was me, I would return it and go with one from the dealer.

(PS - would have posted pic within this post but I am lucky to be able to post any pics on this site, so excuse me, it isnt as interesting as the dogs with the wind in their ears :D

I saw one this weekend in the parking lot at the put in that had been modified quite a bit. It had the flat 2x8 carpeted boards for the toons to rest on. However, on each side of these boards, they had added a pair of rollers every couple of feet or so. It looked a bit homegrown, but it also looked like it would work very well. If your mechanical and not wanting to buy another trailer, you might look into doing something like this.

Sorry, no pics.

andy

I talked to my boat dealer and he said it should be fine. He said he has never had one with flat bunks but he said with the trailer guides on it that there should not be any problems. I guess I would have to believe him seeing how he could make some money if I returned this one and bought one from him but instead of being shady he assured me that this one is fine. I really appreciated him setting my mind at ease.

(PS - would have posted pic within this post but I am lucky to be able to post any pics on this site, so excuse me, it isnt as interesting as the dogs with the wind in their ears :D
Haha, that a shot at me Friar?? ;)

Hey newboater, I checked my bunks this week end and the bunk for the elipitical is adjustable and angled about 10 degrees. I guess flat bunks would be okay if you only tow occasionally or for short distances. If you are going to be trailering long distances or unloading and loading alot I would want them angled. Even with guides and angled bunks loading during a wind can be a challange.

I have 20 yrs of boating experiance and there is no way I would have a trailer with flat bunks. If they will take it back send it to them and get a trailer set up for the boat. In the end you will be much happier. Nothing more frustrating than spending half an hour trying to get the boat on the trailer while everyone is standing around staring at you. Or even worst have a boat slide sideways off the trailer while traveling down the highway.

Back