Bunk size. 2x4. Or 2x6

Dgj

Reaction score
I leave my boat in the water from Thursday to Sunday every weekend so we load a lot. But my ramp at the marina I keep it at is tuff. For a boat as big as most tritoon. It never was meant for boats of that size. It is about 100 yards up a 50 ft wide lane between a rip rap wall and boats. And the ramp is at a 60 degree angle to the right. 2 years with my 2550 and 20+ years boating and it kicks my tail. I have 2x4 bunks with the plastic covers and I was wondering if any one had the 2x4 and 2x6 bunks on different trailers and if so could you notice the 2x6 being more forgiving? Seems like my rear end always has to pushed over just a little to get to settle down into the bunks.
I. Have become the guy I used to laugh at when I was bass fishing.

I had a trailer with 2x4 bunks and now have a trailer with 2x6 bunks. It is way easier to load on the 2x6 bunks and have never had a problem with the pontoons not settling down in the cradle. I have seen pontoons not settle down in 2x4 bunks though. I don't want another trailer that doesn't have 2x6 bunks.

Have had 2x4's on both of my boat trailers and have never had a problem loading the boat or having them settle in the "cradles".

Both of my trailers came with 2x6.

my trailer has 2 x 6 , boats tend to be hard to get nested in the trailer when the ramp is so steep. when I am on a steep ramp I try to load the boat then pull up the trailer 3 or 4 feet out of the water and re nest the boat a second time. to be sure it seats correctly on the bunks

Straight ramps are no problem but I am hitting the trailer with the front as I am still bringing the rear around. When the lake is full the ramp is steep and not any trouble but as it drops the lower end of the ramp is fairly flat and that is when it is hard to have the front all the way up and the rear still barely floating. I guess it is is just an unusual situation

The bad thing is I just redid my trailer this summer but I may have to go to 2x6 just to see if it helps I just hate to spend another 300+.

my trailer has 2 x 6 , boats tend to be hard to get nested in the trailer when the ramp is so steep. when I am on a steep wramp I try to load the boat then pull up the trailer 3 or 4 feet out of the water and re nest the boat a second time. to be sure it seats correctly on the bunks
When the boat sits on the trailer in the front but the back is still floating my wife has the line in hand still attached to the boat. As I pull the boat out of the water she walks alongside and adjusts the pontoons by either pulling the rope or pushing the boat so the pontoons sit in the middle of the cradle. Teamwork.

Back