Carpet Alternatives for Front Bunks

uscjeffrey

Reaction score
Two of the snaps for my mooring cover line up right in the middle of the front target bunks. Besides making it so that I can't use the two snaps for the cover when the boat is on the trailer, the snaps have gouged the bunk carpet and wood.

I plan to remove the snaps and leave the screws. Then I am going to replace the bunks. Has anyone used anything other than carpet for the front bunks? My trailer has the plastic sides on the bunks that support the pontoons and I can't think of a reason not to use plastic on the front bunks. The screws may not tear the carpet but if I am replacing the bunks and I can use plastic and not worry about it again for many years then that is the way I would like to go.

I have seen plastic bunk replacements in overton's catalog, but have not used them because they are a lot more expensive than carpet over wood.

I have this exact same problem, what I did was I figured out where on the front bunk stops the deck sat (how high) and after I launched the boat. I took a Fernco flexible coupler, removed the hose clamps from top and bottom, and took stainless screws and washers and screwed them inside the coupler so that the screw heads wouldn't touch the deck, and just below where the snaps are so they aren't touched. This keeps the boat still firmly against the bunk stops, but also about a 1/4 inch or so away. Works great! I believe we are heading out on the boat today, I'll try to remember to snap a couple pics. It's cheap and easy since you can buy them at any hardware/plumbing store. Just wish I would have thought of it earlier so I hadn't already chewed up the carpet like it is!

Derrick

Alright, Sorry, don't know how to link the pic of my vertical bunks with the coupling attached. as I said, I haven't replaced the carpet since figuring out this idea, but so far, so good. I might actually buy one more and cut it in half and screw it inside the other, just to hold it away from the bunks that little extra, but it sure beats trying to shove a piece of styrafoam between them like my dealer suggested. The foam was better than nothing, but not really a permanent solution, not to mention ya sure wouldnt want to get your fingers pinched while holding them!! So anyway, look in my gallery, one called forum pics has a couple shots of it. Hope it helps someone else!

Derrick :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Derrick. I didn't see the picture in your gallery but I think I have the idea. Screw the coupler onto bunks so that you basically have a flexible o that will compress when the boat is loaded. Keep it lower than the snaps and you're in business. Do you get any marking from the coupler on the boat? At my ramp the boat slides down about two inches in front when I start to loosen the bow strap.

Nope, no markings on the boat, I think mostly because if there is any 'wiggling' the coupler stays touching the deck and just vibrates in itself.

Great avatar "bulldog" :D

Hehe Thanks Friar, someone told me I should use that pic for it! :D

Hehe Thanks Friar, someone told me I should use that pic for it! :D
I have the same problem on my 2012, I removed the two snaps that rub, drilled and replaced them just outside the bunks and did the same on the cover, i left the old snaps on the cover, put a smooth flat head bolt and nut in old snap area of boat, just to fill the hole.

Bulldog - Thanks for the Fernco coupler idea. I have the same problem, only I lost a snap before I realized the bunks were rubbing on the rail. I'd like to see a pic of your idea, but I think I get it from what you wrote. Seems like it should work great, and I should be able to get the cover to fit right too. Nice idea!

What diameter coupler did you use? 2-inch?

FYI for others thinking about doing this - if you loosen a few nuts where the bunk-stops bolt to the trailer tongue, you can slide the whole ladder/bunk-stop forward to work on it, then slide it back and tighten the nuts when you're done (if you don't want to, or can't easily, take your boat off the trailer to do the work - just another way of doing it).

Kaydano - take a look in my gallery, I took a few pics, not the greatest shots but u get the idea. As for sliding the bunk up, great idea, I didn't think of that when I did it originally, definitely would be easier than when docking or launching, plus easier to line up correctly!

Don't remember what size, I went to the hardware store and squeezed them flat to see how wide they'd be, but I'm thinking it was a little bigger than 2", maybe 3". I think I might actually buy another one, cut it in half so there is basically just a flat chunk of rubber and screw that inside the Fernco, I think it would help hold the boat just that little extra off the bunks to give a little clearance to the playpen cover. It's surprising how much they compress.

Derrick

Just looked in my gallery and the pics aren't there! I am sure I had them up there! Guess I will add them again later, gotta get to work!

Sorry, been asleep at the wheel on this thread...we offer rub rail protectors. Order from your dealer, easy to install!

I couldn't find your pics either. If you can repost one sometime, that would be GREAT. No hurry though. I've got all winter now...

Back