Cavitation burn?

jcr159

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with cavitation/ventilation burn on a prop?

was checking things over last night when swimming (i don't swim, lol... i go around the boat in the water checking things over instead of having fun like everyone else). I was cleaning some light crud off the lower unit intakes and noticed what i thought was rust on the back side of the prop along the outside edges. it was not significant and i didn't get a pic. but it looked like small rust spots on the outside edge of the blade on the back side. it struck me as odd since it's a SS SWS II blade, and obviously shouldn't have rust since it's stainless.

i didn't think much of it until falling asleep, and it dawned on me that it could be cavitation burn... anyone experience this? the pics i see online are a lot worse than what i have, so hard to tell if it's the same thing, a defective prop, or just normal...

i'll upload some pics next time i'm out over the weekend...

What is cavitation burn? Not familiar with it. My SS Enertia prop looks nearly new 6 years later. Never seen what you are describing. Pictures next time your at the boat?

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the articles.

My Enertia SS prop is on its seventh season and looks pretty good. However, I do have a few “rust” spots. Is this similar to yours? I was told that what I have is somewhat normal.

Attachments

• 8C3C35FC-951A-43D5-8EFA-D43EB529134E.jpeg
    8C3C35FC-951A-43D5-8EFA-D43EB529134E.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 33
My Enertia SS prop is on its seventh season and looks pretty good. However, I do have a few “rust” spots. Is this similar to yours? I was told that what I have is somewhat normal.

Thanks for posting. yours definitely looks better than mine... especially for a 7yr old prop!

Back