Center Bilge doesn’t turn on ....

Becky Couch

Reaction score
our Center toon had water in it. We have a new 2018 Bennington R series with a manual and automatic option on the switch. It didn’t appear to function in any mode.
Any idea if I am doing something wrong?
We used our large wetvac and emptied 3x to completely empty the toon.

Welcome to the forum Becky! Just curious as to how so much water accumulated in there? Was it gradual? Or a rainstorm w/out your cover on? I do have an automatic bilge pump in our I/O engine pod that also has a switch on the dash. Same principle as your infloor storage pump but we've never had a problem. Check to see if you have power going to the pump.....

When you flip the switch to manual open the hatch and try to see if can hear the pump running or hear any humming. There should be a fuse off the pump too that may have popped.

Can't remember, does the "Master" switch also need to be on for the bilge? Try that also.

Check your breakers also

Becky, did you get the pump fixed? I got my 25G in March and never checked my pump. It will work with the accessory switches off and I can hear it run. Maybe the plug isn't pushed in all the way. Not connected under the dash. Glad I didn't have to use mine. That compartment had wood and aluminum shavings in it20180512_201528.jpg 20180512_201627.jpg

I could be wrong but the pump coming on by itself is independent of the perko switch position but if you want to turn it on manually then you do need the perko ON. Also, the automatic float will allow much more water to accumulate than you would expect. If there's that much water in there, you'll know it's working not by hearing the pump but by hearing the water it's dumping back by the engine area.

Oh and if the wood and aluminum shavings are common with new boats then chances are the pump choked and died on them! YIKES, that's a lot of shavings in those pictures!!

I could be wrong but the pump coming on by itself is independent of the perko switch position but if you want to turn it on manually then you do need the perko ON. Also, the automatic float will allow much more water to accumulate than you would expect. If there's that much water in there, you'll know it's working not by hearing the pump but by hearing the water it's dumping back by the engine area.

Oh and if the wood and aluminum shavings are common with new boats then chances are the pump choked and died on them! YIKES, that's a lot of shavings in those pictures!!
I wasn't too happy about that. Shavings were in every compartment

I wasn't too happy about that. Shavings were in every compartment
That looks like more than just shavings. Looks like they're gathering firewood for winter. How does that pass inspection before the customer accepts delivery!??

Our dealer was anal about getting all the shavings out of the boat as we saw it just as the shrink wrap came off. I still find a little something here and there it’s on the fourth season.

I have to vac out the bilge pump area again today. something I'll keep an eye on

Back