Center pontoon storage

We ordered our new Benny in January. We were also told by our dealer not to order the center storage for the same reasons. He said unless you are going to be going on long trips requiring extra storage you don’t need it One less thing to have to worry about.
Interesting the different opinions. I have had Center storage for 6 years and never had a problem. My boat is covered and never have standing water. I would never own a boat without it.

One other thought on solid vs. vented lids. Perhaps if you have a center fuel tank then the vented lid is used to help prevent gas fumes building up and creating an explosive environment. No center fuel, solid lid.

Just spittballing.

BTW if anyone is interested - pic below is of the storage area drains that run aft to the stern fuel compartment, and video of the bilge pump running. The design is pretty challenged IMO, given the pump is suspended up off the bottom of the bilge by an L bracket so there will always be a couple inches of standing water until it evaporates. After seeing this I'm now extra motivated to follow rbtnt's lead on installing a dry bilge pump system.

E01E9D99-F29A-4A44-BF3C-8D58E243DF20.jpeg

Photo of suction pump. This was initial installation and will now be cleaned up since the proof of concept worked.
Inlet host goes down to bottom of toon. Output hose is tied to and behind the factory bilge pump output hose. It goes through it's own hole in the toon. You can see the sealant I used around the grommet for the wires. Water was leaking back in the toon around this grommet when the factory bilge pump was running.

Attachments

• Suction Pump_3.jpg
    Suction Pump_3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I did a search for various 2021 L series with the center storage. About 80% of the photos had the slats, the others solid. I have no idea the rhyme or reason. My only "guess" is they switched over to the solid mid 2021 production..but thats a WAG

We will see what mine has when it comes next month...being built now...finally!
Mine has solid

Photo of suction pump. This was initial installation and will now be cleaned up since the proof of concept worked.
Inlet host goes down to bottom of toon. Output hose is tied to and behind the factory bilge pump output hose. It goes through it's own hole in the toon. You can see the sealant I used around the grommet for the wires. Water was leaking back in the toon around this grommet when the factory bilge pump was running.

View attachment 29250
RBTNT Where is your controller and filter for the diaphragm pump, down in the bilge area? I was thinking of just buying the Seaflo pump and direct wiring to a switch at the helm and make it full-manual, wanted to know if you did the same.

Thanks

RBTNT - where did you get the grey flooring tiles from? They look a like a great add-on.

My first post
Maybe this was talked about and addressed by another but.....Since I’ve seen several discussions I want to add mine. I’ve ordered a new L series and the optional center storage which is about 1k to put the hole in my boat. I don’t understand the logic in placing slots in the cover.
I have owned a Sea Ray with center storage in that V-hull, which is equipped with a hatch that fits into a grooved recess. This had a drain hole which went to the bilge. Everything stayed dry, no water, no mildew.
When I asked about the slots in Bennington’s, I was told it was for ventilation to prevent mildew!??. How about No Water, No Mildew! Having fun, swimming, and even hosing down the boat is going to put water down those holes!
Now, for the kicker. I have a friend with an older Bennington with center toon storage and it is similar to my old Sea Ray. Solid hatch, drains to the stern bilge and pump. He couldn’t believe when I told him about my boat.
Once again progress takes a giant step....backwards. Thanks for letting me vent, hopefully someone from Bennington reads our posts.
Pictures of Toon Floor Storage: to front, panel to toon weld, floor brace, drain holes, drain holes close up, rear of storage. Got these last weekend when visiting the dealer to get some detailed measurements. The storage has a plastic floor held in place by what appeared to be an upside down V support underneath, topped with a plastic mesh. Drain holes same as Potomacbassin' pictures (looks like you took out the floor?). It was interesting to note the floor storage is 93" long, same on the R and L models. The access panel - some were solid, some were slotted (and all new Toons - did not note build variances), but the positioning was different between models of same 25/26' length: Rx vs L model - the R model panel was pushed much further forward, aft to panel to port: 47/32/14, the L was 26/32/35 - yet same front cushion layout/sizes!?. What I did find discouraging - the access panel was only 12 3/4" wide MAX, meaning trying to get a rolled up tube or mooring cover in will be challenging. Might have to roll without folding, as I noted that none of the storage other then the Helm is over 12" deep. Will be posting a full storage diagram with measurements soon for SB models.

Attachments

• 2021-03-06 09.54.17.jpg
    2021-03-06 09.54.17.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 2021-03-06 09.53.42.jpg
    2021-03-06 09.53.42.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 2021-03-06 09.53.15.jpg
    2021-03-06 09.53.15.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 2021-03-06 09.53.09.jpg
    2021-03-06 09.53.09.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 2021-03-06 09.53.02.jpg
    2021-03-06 09.53.02.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 2021-03-06 09.52.03.jpg
    2021-03-06 09.52.03.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 2021-03-06 09.51.53.jpg
    2021-03-06 09.51.53.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 71
Pictures of Toon Floor Storage: to front, panel to toon weld, floor brace, drain holes, drain holes close up, rear of storage. Got these last weekend when visiting the dealer to get some detailed measurements. The storage has a plastic floor held in place by what appeared to be an upside down V support underneath, topped with a plastic mesh. Drain holes same as Potomacbassin' pictures (looks like you took out the floor?). It was interesting to note the floor storage is 93" long, same on the R and L models. The access panel - some were solid, some were slotted (and all new Toons - did not note build variances), but the positioning was different between models of same 25/26' length: Rx vs L model - the R model panel was pushed much further forward, aft to panel to port: 47/32/14, the L was 26/32/35 - yet same front cushion layout/sizes!?. What I did find discouraging - the access panel was only 12 3/4" wide MAX, meaning trying to get a rolled up tube or mooring cover in will be challenging. Might have to roll without folding, as I noted that none of the storage other then the Helm is over 12" deep. Will be posting a full storage diagram with measurements soon for SB models.

awesome photos! Did you happen to measure the opening? You mentioned 12” wide. Did you measure the length?

I’m looking at getting some sort of folding step stool/ladder for when we beach. I’ll look at a folding ladder off the front eventually but not sure what will fit on a tritoon.
Thanks!

awesome photos! Did you happen to measure the opening? You mentioned 12” wide. Did you measure the length?

I’m looking at getting some sort of folding step stool/ladder for when we beach. I’ll look at a folding ladder off the front eventually but not sure what will fit on a tritoon.
Thanks!
I found this and was thinking about seeing if it would fit. https://www.lillipadmarine.com/boarding-ladder/

I found this and was thinking about seeing if it would fit. https://www.lillipadmarine.com/boarding-ladder/
I like that! I'll have to look into this one when i get the boat and can measure. Not a fan of the railing but I guess i dont have to install that?
I will be building a removable undermount trolling motor mount as well so those will have to play together.

i just need this but smaller/lighter...dont need 16', haha: https://www.amazon.com/SUNCOO-Teles...ders&qid=1615851436&s=hi&sr=1-28&ts_id=553480

Correct - I pulled the UHMW floor panels (I'm guessing material) to access the lower third of the storage to clean out all the bits of debris.

Getting the mooring cover in and out is no problem at all. Just roll it up like a carpet, fold in half and it stuffs right in. And you still have PLENTY of room for other things.

I'm almost 6' and 185lbs and can fit inside. The geometry of the hatch allows surprisingly large objects to go in at angles, but of course go to a showroom and take your measurements to make 100% sure.

Thanks!
I measured 32" long, 12 3/4" wide, 17" deep from top of compartment/toon to floor, 23 3/4" to inset lip of cover panel. My buddy get's his 10x10 easy up and wakeboards in their - I have never watched closely enough to see how much work that is. At 6' / 205 I was able to wiggle myself through the hatch.

RBTNT Where is your controller and filter for the diaphragm pump, down in the bilge area? I was thinking of just buying the Seaflo pump and direct wiring to a switch at the helm and make it full-manual, wanted to know if you did the same.

Thanks
Don't have a controller for the additional pump. I wired it to the factory pump with waterproof connections within the compartment. I thought about putting it on a spare switch, but running the wire from the toon to the dash was going to be difficult. Unless you're a small person, it is difficult to work in the toon.

Thanks!
I found one similar to this that folds up. You can find them as some of the dollar stores for ~$12. https://www.wayfair.com/home-improv...ool-with-300-lb-load-capacity-w002589752.html

Online store called Rubber Flooring. https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/interlocking-tile/rugged-grip-loc-tiles.html

I took the factory matt out because it was holding water. These tiles are mostly open and allow the water to drain to the bottom of the toon.
I've lined the bottom of all my storage areas (including the helm) with these tile. They help keep stuff off the bottom in case water does seep in and improves air flow IMO. With a pair of scissors, they are also easy to trim to fit.

I like that! I'll have to look into this one when i get the boat and can measure. Not a fan of the railing but I guess i dont have to install that?
I will be building a removable undermount trolling motor mount as well so those will have to play together.

i just need this but smaller/lighter...dont need 16', haha: https://www.amazon.com/SUNCOO-Teles...ders&qid=1615851436&s=hi&sr=1-28&ts_id=553480
I went with a folding doggy ramp. Fits inside storage easy but getting it past the hatch opening requires an angled approach path. Pawhut was the brand I believe and fairly lightweight (less than 20lbs). There are telescoping ones out there as well.

Don't have a controller for the additional pump. I wired it to the factory pump with waterproof connections within the compartment. I thought about putting it on a spare switch, but running the wire from the toon to the dash was going to be difficult. Unless you're a small person, it is difficult to work in the toon.
Thanks - I agree wiring is not easy especially with the wave shield in place.

I need an undermount step or smaller version of this.....https://www.murphyladder.com/
It folds along 2-axis so its more like a pole....this should allow it to slide into center tube storage.

folded size is: 57" x 5.4" x 7.2"

Fiigured I would throw it out there for other people. My family is vertically challenged. I am still athletic enough to jump onto the boat but the wife, kids, inlaws cannot.

One other thought on solid vs. vented lids. Perhaps if you have a center fuel tank then the vented lid is used to help prevent gas fumes building up and creating an explosive environment. No center fuel, solid lid.

Just spittballing.

BTW if anyone is interested - pic below is of the storage area drains that run aft to the stern fuel compartment, and video of the bilge pump running. The design is pretty challenged IMO, given the pump is suspended up off the bottom of the bilge by an L bracket so there will always be a couple inches of standing water until it evaporates. After seeing this I'm now extra motivated to follow rbtnt's lead on installing a dry bilge pump system.

View attachment 29249

Center toon gas tank is solid and sealed. Fill on outside of toon. Engine outboard so no fumes to vent like inboard engine.. By the way, we just had a boat explosion for that reason last week here at Smith Mountain Lake, VA. Definitely installing the auxiliary pump though. Delivery scheduled for May.

Back