Check in with your cruising speed, RPM, FF and range.

I’m going to revive another dead thread... just to add to the knowledge base and not create more threads to search.

Ran up to Washington D.C. this afternoon, about a 60mile round trip from the marina. Burned around 25gal so calculates in that 2.5mpg range averaging 40mph at 5200rpm. Still in the break in period but occasionally would go WOT to 6200rpm and hit 45-46. Running 14.5 17p SWS 2

23SSBXP with a F250xca.

I think the motor can handle a little more prop and maybe go to the #2 mount. Will be playing with it over the next few months.

I know my R 25 is a gas guzzler but please respond with your preferred cruise RPM, speed and would like to know what MPG you are getting.

My R25 with my 200 SHO will plane but will not keep the bow out of the water at 3500 RPM so I cruise at 4000 which gives me about 20mph and I believe around 1.9 mpg.

I am much happier at 5000 RPM and I get closer to 30 mph but I have not computed that FF yet and can only imagine how much worse it gets!

I'm running a 14.25 X 17p 3 blade prop and I am happy with it so far (3rd prop) as it gets a good hole shot and gives me max rpm of around 5950 which is what I was looking for.

I don't want this thread to get into a 3 page prop discussion... there are plenty of those... I just would like to know what RPM you generally set for long range cruise and the speed you get. If you have fuel milage.... even better!
I thought most Bennys start to plane at like 14 mph and thus were pretty good on fuel usage in the mid to upper teens. Is yours not a triple toon and that changes planing speed dramatically?

As far as gallons per hour, I keep a log on my phone. I log the gallons per fill up the cost, and the hours on the engine at fill up. Based on that, since I’ve owned the boat, I’m averaging 4.2 gallons per hour for the 48 hours of engine use using 201.5 gallons of fuel.

I have a Bennington 22 SSRXP WITH SPS hull and a Yamaha F150 outboard, mounted in the second hole from the top. I am also using a 3 blade Yamaha reliance series Stainless steel 14.5x15p prop. Get 39 mph at 6000 rpm WOT half tank gas, one person choppy and windy conditions.
My dealer did a really good job on the set up.
I guess either I just dont care or I am too lazy or having too much fun. I fill up my boat and drive it.

My cruising speed is about 10 M.P.H. with my Yamaha 150 H.P. My RPM I don't care about. I don't know what FF stands for (and probably don't care) and my Range is normally when the Vodka and Lemonade and the beer's are gone. Enjoy your Bennington's !
Exactly

I guess either I just dont care or I am too lazy or having too much fun. I fill up my boat and drive it.
.......especially while gas is cheap especially for those of us that trailer our Bennys that can access regular gas stations.

What prop are you spinning with that 350? I flashed the ECU on my 200SHO which is supposed to increase the HP to 300-320. My hope is that I can spin a larger prop that allows me better top end but more importably, let me cruise at a lower RMP while still getting bow lift to get the high lift devices on the front of the toons out of the water.

Thanks for you info... very informative
Could you tell any difference after flashing your computer?

Last edited:
I've only ever measured fuel consumption once and posted this in another thread:

Consumption was 59.75 / 8.6 = 6.95 gal/hr. Does that sound right for a 5.0L V8 260 hp, mostly running 20 to 30 mph with full load of people and/or pulling skiers and tubers.

Could you tell any difference after flashing your computer?
Major difference. I went to a 17p from a 15p and gained all most 10mph. I now cruise at 25 and have a fuel consumption at 9gph on a 25r with 250 verado

any update on therapy for cat?

Back