Cladded arch/Bimini top separation

AZHEAT

Reaction score
Anyone with any experience solving this issue? The local Bennington dealer has an independent shop specializing in bimini tops/covers do all their bimini repair work and I recently spoke with one of the local Bimini top shops that does terrific work and was disappointed in their take on the issue. She took one look at it and said, “They all do that here. We can use new track and fix it, but it will do it again and usually relatively quickly”. My boat had less than 20 hours on it when it started separating (see attached pics). She attributed part of the issue to our heat here and also commented that she doesn’t like the design (looks great, but will not hold up). Apparently multiple Tritoon manufacturers use basically the same arch design and track system for Bimini attachment and she said they all have the exact same separation issues, so it is not a Bennington specific issue. I do leave the top up at all times, but speed towing to the lake is always in the 30‘s max for a very short distance and it is extremely rare the speed on the lake is over 40 (I determined the top speed shortly after buying the boat and a couple times since for several minutes cumulative time at that speed). I actually noticed the separation when I was taking it out of storage, so the thought that the heat is a major factor likely held true in my case. Has anyone in a cooler climate had this issue?
The Bimini top shop has a number of different solutions, none of which will be as aesthetically appealing. (The only option I remotely like is mounting tabs in the top of the arch at intervals with added Sunbrella extensions attached to the Bimini top itself and tab, reducing tension on the Bimini top/track interface. The other options involve not connecting the Bimini to the cladded arch at all, which would obviously look wonky.). So, to make a long story short, I want a permanent solution as opposed to “fixing” it with the original design expected to be an issue again in a very short period of time (at least in my climate). I understand Bennington will not endorse any solution that does not utilize the exact same system, but I simply don’t have the time/patience to mess around with this multiple times and I’m open to any solution that works and looks “factory”. I currently do not have a front Bimini and would actually like to add one when I do the repair this winter. Any fellow cladded arch owners with any advice? I appreciate it!

Attachments

• 9FCD9488-BE53-4E7B-A121-2EBAA7CA8320.jpeg
    9FCD9488-BE53-4E7B-A121-2EBAA7CA8320.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 82
  • ACECF4DD-3A74-4D4B-856D-B0A6292307EE.jpeg
    ACECF4DD-3A74-4D4B-856D-B0A6292307EE.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 42662D3F-68EB-401B-B0DB-622B019CE34E.jpeg
    42662D3F-68EB-401B-B0DB-622B019CE34E.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 78
Anyone with any experience solving this issue? The local Bennington dealer has an independent shop specializing in bimini tops/covers do all their bimini repair work and I recently spoke with one of the local Bimini top shops that does terrific work and was disappointed in their take on the issue. She took one look at it and said, “They all do that here. We can use new track and fix it, but it will do it again and usually relatively quickly”. My boat had less than 20 hours on it when it started separating (see attached pics). She attributed part of the issue to our heat here and also commented that she doesn’t like the design (looks great, but will not hold up). Apparently multiple Tritoon manufacturers use basically the same arch design and track system for Bimini attachment and she said they all have the exact same separation issues, so it is not a Bennington specific issue. I do leave the top up at all times, but speed towing to the lake is always in the 30‘s max for a very short distance and it is extremely rare the speed on the lake is over 40 (I determined the top speed shortly after buying the boat and a couple times since for several minutes cumulative time at that speed). I actually noticed the separation when I was taking it out of storage, so the thought that the heat is a major factor likely held true in my case. Has anyone in a cooler climate had this issue?
The Bimini top shop has a number of different solutions, none of which will be as aesthetically appealing. (The only option I remotely like is mounting tabs in the top of the arch at intervals with added Sunbrella extensions attached to the Bimini top itself and tab, reducing tension on the Bimini top/track interface. The other options involve not connecting the Bimini to the cladded arch at all, which would obviously look wonky.). So, to make a long story short, I want a permanent solution as opposed to “fixing” it with the original design expected to be an issue again in a very short period of time (at least in my climate). I understand Bennington will not endorse any solution that does not utilize the exact same system, but I simply don’t have the time/patience to mess around with this multiple times and I’m open to any solution that works and looks “factory”. I currently do not have a front Bimini and would actually like to add one when I do the repair this winter. Any fellow cladded arch owners with any advice? I appreciate it!
I have the same problem. Live in central Alabama where the heat and humidity is often high. Would also like a remedy. Bennington should come up with a permanent fix.

2019 R23 cladded top with same problem. Bennington had no resolution or suggestions! I had to release rear tension pole, remove velcro and put another strip of heavy duty double sided adhesive tape 4 inches below existing velcro strip. Set over night then re-attached around rear pole. Not as tight as factory but works ok. Just don't like the look! Keep boat at covered marina so not in the direct sun while not in use. Wish I could fix mine as well! Good luck!
Thanks

I am in South Carolina and have had no issues with mine. Pretty hot and humid here. I wonder if Bennington got a bad batch. I would get a factory replacement under warranty first.

This is is a known issue in hotter climates like we have here in Arizona. The plastic u channel deforms in the heat and under load. My dealer had a local shop add material and snaps to the arch which takes tension off of the u track. Has worked well for 2 years. It looks ok but at least it now it doesnt come disconnected.

Back