Cleaning Algae off Toons while in the water - Scrub Pad / Toons Not evenly spaced!?

LaurencetheAdventurer

Reaction score
Hello, thought I would share the scrub pad I found the most useful (after testing various sized pads and brushes) when brushing/wiping off the Algae growth on the toons every 2 to 4 weeks (my Benny sits in warm lake water all summer). I have found such cleaning is significantly easier with a fresh coat of Shark Hide or similar toon sealer. The second year it was some help, the 3rd year I pulled it out and had the toons recoated. I do this in a calm cove - wearing my life jacket "diaper style" (stepping into it). I noted that getting between the toons on one side is easy, the other side is much narrower (ESP so not much room at 6' / 220lbs)! Once I realized this, it is obvious (yet to measure, guess about 2"). Of course when I have my kids on board - this is there job! The algae growth will drop my speed 3-4 mph! It takes me 15-20 minutes for a quick wipe down of all three 26' tunes (2 runs per tube - 1 from each side).

Attachments

• Scrub Pad.jpg
    Scrub Pad.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 56
I "try" to clean mine every other week weather permitting. I use 2 car wash mits . I have Sharkhide reapplied every other season . Since I haven't kept one long enough lately ,this is the most recent pic .

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1695849882346.jpg
    FB_IMG_1695849882346.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 33
Hello, thought I would share the scrub pad I found the most useful (after testing various sized pads and brushes) when brushing/wiping off the Algae growth on the toons every 2 to 4 weeks (my Benny sits in warm lake water all summer). I have found such cleaning is significantly easier with a fresh coat of Shark Hide or similar toon sealer. The second year it was some help, the 3rd year I pulled it out and had the toons recoated. I do this in a calm cove - wearing my life jacket "diaper style" (stepping into it). I noted that getting between the toons on one side is easy, the other side is much narrower (ESP so not much room at 6' / 220lbs)! Once I realized this, it is obvious (yet to measure, guess about 2"). Of course when I have my kids on board - this is there job! The algae growth will drop my speed 3-4 mph! It takes me 15-20 minutes for a quick wipe down of all three 26' tunes (2 runs per tube - 1 from each side).
When we kept our boat in the water Everytime we went out we would anchor in a No Wake cove and float on my throw pillow and wipe each toon inside and out. I didn't need a rough pad or scrubber because we used to do it so much any old rag, sock, underwear or T shirt would do! I don't miss cleaning them! Ha!

I use a couple of stiff-bristle polypropylene brushes, one short handle and one that is broom-style with a long handle. When we are beached at some island, no float/preserver is needed and it's easy to get enough force to clean off any growth (including the bottom of the tubes).

I have seen members not wanting Sharkhide ,due to the fact that if you keep it in the water all season it does wear off in a few weeks . But There has to be some residual coating left ,because the slime does come off easier with it applied .

This is my second season using those scrub pads. I use them to clean the toons at and below the water line. I think they work great.

Have you had a chance to go back and measure how far the tubes are off? Seems odd to me they would be. I couldn't find any pics that show actual dimensions (this looks like it should in the boxes, but I couldn't find one)

EDIT. boxes are for features (Strakes, keels, etc) not dimensions, so dis-regard pic. Sorry

BENNINGTON-ELIPTICAL-SPORT-PACKAGE-PONTOON.png

Have you had a chance to go back and measure how far the tubes are off? Seems odd to me they would be. I couldn't find any pics that show actual dimensions (this looks like it should in the boxes, but I couldn't find one)

EDIT. boxes are for features (Strakes, keels, etc) not dimensions, so dis-regard pic. Sorry

BENNINGTON-ELIPTICAL-SPORT-PACKAGE-PONTOON.png
Right! I can see being a little off, but the second side was certainly a squeeze compared to the first (normally the kids do the inside toons - no kids this trip - which has other benefits ;) :cool: ). And since I was "looking for it", it then became very noticeable. Next trip is post my Oct 15th Tax Filing Deadline....will measure then!

Back