Cleaning Toons while on Trailer

dannyleininger

Reaction score
So, I’m trying to come up with a way to clean the toons while on my trailer. Ideally I want to lift up one side of Benny up so I can clean the portion of the toon that rests against the bunks. Something like a pair of HiLift jacks or something that will lift and support 2000+ pounds (rear). I probably only need to raise it about 6” or so.

Any ideas out there?

spray on with hand pump sprayer, spray off with hose... light use of pad to even out the rub marks from the dock once rinsed... 30 minutes for entire boat and even cleaned the area On the trailer.

278C3584-EDA3-437B-AE2E-DE5CA50A903B.jpeg

Kahuna, thanks for the awesome link. Looks like I‘m buying some concrete block! :))

Kahuna, thanks for the awesome link. Looks like I‘m buying some concrete block! :))
Well the above technique won’t work for my Benny. My toons don’t hang off the back of the trailer.

Well Sir,
Not exactly sure WHY you'd want to clean the area of the toons that rests on the bunks. I mean, no one sees that area and, for the most part, nothing that's deposited on that area while in the water, can survive the weight of the boat while on the bunks and, not to mention that you'd be etching whatever was deposited on them when the boat is either launched or retrieved to and from the trailer. It's yours so, do what you must to satisfy your needs.

You don't say to what extent you want to clean them. Are you talking about just washing them off from a days boating? Or, are you wanting to actually clean, as in ever-so-slightly *etch* the aluminum for a brighter appearance? In the pics below, you see the *Before* and *After* of both *cleaning* and *Polishing* the toons. When we first purchased the Benny, it had only been in the water 5 times. The toons were not too bad in terms of looks and condition. It's a '14 RCL 2550 and, at that time, about 18 months ago, I wanted to have brighter looking toons. So, I picked up some Starbrite product aluminum cleaner. It was a very simple process.

All that was done was put some on a nice soft rag and wipe back and forth, about a 3' swath. You could see the aluminum actually changing colors to a much brighter appearance within about 1 minute of wiping. I did all the toons that way and it took me a whopping 1 hour to do the total job.

But, if you're simply wanting to wash them then a soft brush and some Dawn dish soap will do the trick. That is of course unless they are covered in moss and algae because the boat's been in the water for a long time. Then, a pressure washer might be your answer. Your choice on this one.
Scott.

Attachments

• IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1531.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1532.JPG
    IMG_1532.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3094.JPG
    IMG_3094.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3487.JPG
    IMG_3487.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 32
Well Sir,
Not exactly sure WHY you'd want to clean the area of the toons that rests on the bunks. I mean, no one sees that area and, for the most part, nothing that's deposited on that area while in the water, can survive the weight of the boat while on the bunks and, not to mention that you'd be etching whatever was deposited on them when the boat is either launched or retrieved to and from the trailer. It's yours so, do what you must to satisfy your needs.

You don't say to what extent you want to clean them. Are you talking about just washing them off from a days boating? Or, are you wanting to actually clean, as in ever-so-slightly *etch* the aluminum for a brighter appearance? In the pics below, you see the *Before* and *After* of both *cleaning* and *Polishing* the toons. When we first purchased the Benny, it had only been in the water 5 times. The toons were not too bad in terms of looks and condition. It's a '14 RCL 2550 and, at that time, about 18 months ago, I wanted to have brighter looking toons. So, I picked up some Starbrite product aluminum cleaner. It was a very simple process.

All that was done was put some on a nice soft rag and wipe back and forth, about a 3' swath. You could see the aluminum actually changing colors to a much brighter appearance within about 1 minute of wiping. I did all the toons that way and it took me a whopping 1 hour to do the total job.

But, if you're simply wanting to wash them then a soft brush and some Dawn dish soap will do the trick. That is of course unless they are covered in moss and algae because the boat's been in the water for a long time. Then, a pressure washer might be your answer. Your choice on this one.
Scott.

My issue is barnacles and perhaps some algae. I use my Benny in both fresh and salt water. If I have her in Saltwater for more than 5 day I will have lots of small barnacles attaching below the water line. I HATE BARNACLES! Yes, I can find some shallow water and scrub them off or ever haul her and pressure wash them off. Fire Up’s point of stuff scuffing off from the bunks is a valid point. But then there’s the stuff between and besides the bunks. Unfortunately I have Sharkhide that is partially rubbed off so my outer toons are multicolored. Some day I will remove all the Sharkhide so I can truly clean my toons.

Unfortunately, the issue of lifting the toons off the trailer seems to be dead. For lots of reasons, such as multiple failed attempts and safety issues, I have given up on lifting my Benny off the trailer. So I’m going to limit the cleaning to what I can see and assume the residual will have to sluff-off at speed.

Maybe someday I will have toons as polished as Fired Up’s.

Back