Coast Guard approved

Steve21slx

Reaction score
We decided to head up by town to go to the Four seasons restaurant for my wife's Birthday dinner. Dinner was good but on the way back we ran into the coast guard. First time I have ever been stopped and besides my wife asking why they stopped us everything went good. Later I answered her question of why they stopped us. The answer is "Because they can"!! Everything was in order though had my registration, lifejackets, throw pillow, horn and ID. I do not drink so I was good there. I guess the worst part is my wife being all googly eyed over the buff coast guard guys!!  :huh:  Although some on the boat were drinking, I was respectful and did exactly what they wanted. It actually was an informative encounter and It was great experience. It verified that I was legal which is awesome!!

Personally, I'm glad and thankful those guys are on the water.  Glad to hear your encounter was a positive one.  We have numerous law enforcement agencies out here on Lake Havasu and they've always been very professional and courteous.  I always keep my stuff in order and never operate drunk so I never mind them doing their job and stopping me.  I appreciate what they do.

You didn't put a video camera in their face and get belligerent? Seems like the popular thing to do these days. Sad. These men and women put their life in harms way daily and get no respect. Try dealing with morons day in and day out for little pay.

Once I saw the presence increase on our lake I did a check and made sure I was compliant in the event they stop us.

We see law enforcement all of the time.  They are typically just making sure everyone has a life jacket which is a very good thing.  Many times if we see them near I have everyone on the boat hold up a life jacket.  Officers usually just wave and keep on going.

We were stopped a few weeks ago by the Sheriff Dept navigation unit and they were very respectful and very helpful.  They noticed it was a new boat without the registration sticker (which I coincidentally received in the mail a few days later).  I asked them if it was their full time gig for the summer and they just laughed and indicated that it was a periodic thing.  Some of the bigger lakes up here need them full time during the busy season.  

Just listen and comply. Very simple!!!

In Maryland, for every life jacket you are short, it's $90 a pop.

Never been stopped yet, but offered assistance to a few people they were assisting ( offered them a tow,etc.) they were always professional and courteous. As stated above be courteous and listen to the instructions and you'll be fine. 

Back