Collision Avoidance

Gerryb

Reaction score
Recently I did what I thought would never happen to me although many more experienced said it would....I attempted a Shore Station landing with the bimini up. Expensive and embarrassing damage to the railing resulted. If I did, it is reasonable to expect that kids and grandkids may as well.
Before that, and with anxiety now, I have often thought that motor vehicles are now replete with numerous devices that warn of possible collision, why don't I see those optionally for boats?
Have any members here seen or installed a device that could audibly warn the captain of an impending collision? I'm thinking a third party system, similar to those added by car/truck owners with bumper buttons.
If others have considered this, please respond. I'm thinking the sensory buttons could be installed in the frontal fence of the pontoon, or in/on the bimini framework. Wouldn't want to weaken the bimini frame by drilling holes but aesthetically either could work.
Then, if it could be wired, preferably through a solid state relay, to be functional only when the boat is in forward gear it would be great. Alternatively, I suppose sensor buttons could be located in the rear too but my only concern is with forgetting to lower the bimini when arriving at the Shore Station.
Typically the approach to the Shore Station is at one mile per hour, maybe less so warning distance of even ten feet may be adequate to hit reverse and move away to lower the bimini.
Our power is a 2020 Yamaha 150, do any of you know if there is a wire in the Yamaha selector at the helm that is +12 VDC when the selector is in the forward position? I may do some testing when the boat is pulled for winter storage but will appreciate other's thoughts.
Here's a link to the Ekylin system. Gerry

Sorry that happened.

Be cheaper to put a big sign on your shore station landing.... "bimini down to party" or something.

Or raise up the canopy of lift??

Thanks, this complete unit with four sensors is only $17 so the cost is minimal. When the boat is raised on the Shore Station, I like having it tucked close beneath the Shore Station cover to minimize rain from the boat. If the Shore Station cover allowed the bimini top to be raised when the boat is on the Shore Station then the boat would be exposed to weather and sun. Seeing the large Shore Station logo across the Shore Station cover should be enough notice but familiarity brings forgetfulness too. Six neighbors with pontoons have done the same thing...often distracted by wind or passengers lowering the bimini is forgotten even when electrically lowered.

Maybe one less beer? Just kidding! You will probably never do it again after what you went through. It will always be on your mind as you land you Bennington.

Boats with radar and AIS have better collision avoidance with other boats. But if you're talking about a low speed bump into a stationary object I'm not aware of any. Probably would cost thousands of dollars and not sell very well...

Good points all. I'm 74 and often told by wife that memory is no longer a strong point...may repeat the mistake myself. But if not me, kids and grandkids for sure. I'm gambling the $18 for the kit below on Amazon. Will test without drilling holes. My main concern is distance it will detect. After that it should be a simple wiring project after determining the forward engagement indication. We have several hundred pontoons around the lake and neighbors on both sides of us have done the same thing. One wrecked his Bimini electric lift gear motors....$1500. The other damaged bimini framework. An inexpensive test at worst. Just need the forward gear indication method to prevent constant on and people jumping off front from engaging it.

EKYLIN Car Auto Vehicle Reverse Backup Radar System​

Back