Considering Bennington - beam width 8' vs 8'6" ?

Dawne

Reaction score
Hi
We are looking at buying a 21 ft Bennington 218 SL 7869 pontoon boat but were wondering if there is a stability difference for a boat with an 8foot beam vs 8foot 6inch beam - on 25 inch pontoons. We would be boating on the Ottawa RIver, not in crazy weather but the winds can come up quickly sometimes. Any input would be most appreciated.
Thanks so much.,

Hi, We purchased a 22SSRXP with tritoons for running around the Bay of Quinte and we love it. We wanted the extra stability the 25" toons gave us on the big water with the possible high winds and has proven to be a great idea. I have been on the Ottawa River and you could easily make out without the tritoons, depending on your needs of course but they do give you peace of mind.

Late reply but, in my opinion wider width offers a little more stability side to side. That is offset by a little loss of boat control while docking. I have a 20 foot tritoon and with wind above 12 mph navigating into a slip is extremely difficult unless the wind is blowing in your face as you turn into your slip.
Off optic but bow thrusters are a game changer for this situation

Back