Construction

Boomers dad

Reaction score
On another forum that I frequent there is a common belief that all pontoons are made with the same components. That most parts are made by a few manufacturers and bought by pontoon companies. Therefore there is very little differance in quality. In the videos I've seen on this web site it appears Bennington makes alot of there own components. I understand that they do not have the manufactuering capability to make every part however I wonder just what do they make in house. Maybe you guys that have done the factory tours can help. Or maybe TB.

I would like to know this before I go and stick my foot in my Mouth :D

To an extent that's true of course. Of ANY product.

Obviously any brand of boat with a Yamaha outboard has that engine built by Yamaha. Any boat that has a certain brand of ANYTHING is going to have that in common.

Getting down to the component level, I would not be surprised to discover that things like decking material, carpet, wiring, aluminum stock (tube & sheet) and assorted hardware come from common vendors for at least some items.

That said, you can go to Home Depot and in the same aisle of the same store buy grade 5 zinc plated bolts and grade 8 stainless steel bolts.

In other words, it's not who you buy FROM, it's WHAT you buy from them. Two vendors buying aluminum flat stock to build their pontoons can buy different thicknesses and grades of aluminum. Two vendors buying carpet from the same manufacturer can specify different products.

So on and so forth...

Boat building, and this goes for fiberglass monohulls, pontoon boats and steel yachts, is still very much a custom shop business.

If you want to know the specifics for the Bennington manufacturing process, I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you all about it. Bennington is a high end product and they REALLY like to brag. In fact, don't get them started if you don't have the time.

All that said, the simple answer to your question is that while there are manufacturers out there who buy "generic" parts and slap together inexpensive products, any of the high end manufacturers (Bennington, South Bay, etc) are making what is really a highly customized product.

I understand what your saying about what I consider raw materials and such. I know in my own business and I can purchase low or high quality materials. I can make the same label with both however the quality will be miles apart.I am trying to find out if Bennington welds there own tubes. sew there own seats etc.

I see a HUGE difference in both the materials and how they are used from make to make. From the aluminum type and thickness to the quality in carpets to latches to furniture materials and on and on. We all see these things. This is why we are on a bennington owners forum. Look at something as obvious as the welds from make to make. Just run your fingers over a quality weld and a cheap one. Saying there isn't a difference is a way uninformed consumers qualify buying inferior products.

My boat is 11 years old and the inside looks almost brand new. A cheap product would have fallen apart by now with as much use as my boat has had.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to find out if Bennington welds there own tubes. sew there own seats etc.
Personally, I have no idea if they subcontract that stuff or if they do it in house. Vertically Integrated is what I think the term is.

My advice?

Give them a call directly. I'm just an unpaid mod on a BBS who logged in one day and discovered he's been shanghaied; but I'm sure Bennington's customer service line would be happy to answer all of your questions.

There is a guy that posts on the pontoon and deckboat forum. He claims to work for Bennington as a welder of the logs. In fact, there is a sticky he posted of a tested log that failed the test. Believe me, a picture is worth a thousand words. There is also thread discussion on the topic stating it wasn't the weld failing, it was a faulty pressure guage on the test equipment.

Based on the information I have read there, I would say they do weld their own logs.

I will try to get him to come be a member here. His input would be awsome.

andy

Edited to state it is not pontoon and deckboat forum, it is iboats forum. The sticky post is under pontoons.

Remember the Unmistakeable video? Do the search in the upper right hand corner of the webage. It shows them welding logs as well as fabricating a few other parts, if i recall correctly. Direct any naysayers to watch it ;)

Right you are Geoffrey.

Thanks,

andy

There is a guy that posts on the pontoon and deckboat forum. He claims to work for Bennington as a welder of the logs. In fact, there is a sticky he posted of a tested log that failed the test. Believe me, a picture is worth a thousand words. There is also thread discussion on the topic stating it wasn't the weld failing, it was a faulty pressure guage on the test equipment.

Based on the information I have read there, I would say they do weld their own logs.

I will try to get him to come be a member here. His input would be awsome.

andy

Edited to state it is not pontoon and deckboat forum, it is iboats forum. The sticky post is under pontoons.
Just don't call them logs to him. It's a pet peeve of his. He welds tubes, logs grow in the forest. B)

Just don't call them logs to him. It's a pet peeve of his. He welds tubes, logs grow in the forest. B)
Ahhh, the marine version of the clip/magazine argument. :D

Thanks guys. I will probably leave this alone for now. It just pisses me off when people respond to sincere questions regarding a major purchase and someone responds with pure BS :angry: . I am refering to differant web site not this one. However next time it gets brought up I will jump in ;)

Lol I understand. I didn't know what else to call them for fear of someone asking what a tube was or making the statement you pull tubes. We don't seem to have that type of crowd here, but its only a matter of time I suppose.

Technically, I suppose it's a Sponson...

Actually a sponson extends beyond the side of a watercraft to increase stability. If your tubes extend beyond the sides you better take it back to the dealer. I'm sure it's a warranty issue :D

Dont forget its not just the products used on the boats its also the engineering behind them that has a large impact on the quality

Actually a sponson extends beyond the side of a watercraft to increase stability. If your tubes extend beyond the sides you better take it back to the dealer. I'm sure it's a warranty issue :D
:p

Wikipedia says..."Floats[also known as pontoons]are airtight hollow structures whose air filled interior makes them bouyant in water. So i guess it's whatever floats your boat!!! :D :D :D :D

Back