Correct prop for a 90 horse Mercury 25 foot pontoon

Richard Scheufler

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out what kind of prop I need for my 25 foot Bennington Pontoon with a 90 horse four stroke Mercury

Is there a prop on it now? If not, a dealer can give you a ballpark to get you started.

You will want to look for the "sweet spot" of the most mph while not exceeding the manufacturer's maximum rpms. So, once you get something on there, you can fine tune it to that sweet spot.

Yes, there may be some here who have your exact same boat that may save you some tinkering. Unfortunately, propping a boat isn't an exact science. You also have to factor in how you plan to use the boat. Are you carrying a lot of people? That matters. Pulling a tube? That matters. So maybe you could give us a little more info about how you plan to use your boat.

If I was to field a guess, I'd say you will be between 10 and 13 pitch. And a 14-15" diameter.

PS: Is your motor a "Bigfoot?" If yes, the Bigfoot has a special prop.

I have a 2575FS with a 100 hp 4 stroke Yamaha. What's worked best for me so far is a Solas amita 3 13.75x13. I can run 22 mph at 5800 rpms with a full load. I also have a powertech wbh3 14x11 that I'll be trying very soon. 

Back