Courtesy light

tinkertoy

Reaction score
Last night on a rare night boat ride, my wife said the helm courtesy light is too bright and sometimes she cannot see the scenery. The light comes on with the navigation lights and I said I would add a switch to turn it off. Today, while searching for a switch or light, it occurred to me that perhaps Bennington had already provided one. I went down to check and lo and behold the light is a push switch light.
I love the way Bennington does the little things even without telling you.
I feel like a dummy but perhaps this will help someone else too.

Last night on a rare night boat ride, my wife said the helm courtesy light is too bright and sometimes she cannot see the scenery. The light comes on with the navigation lights and I said I would add a switch to turn it off. Today, while searching for a switch or light, it occurred to me that perhaps Bennington had already provided one. I went down to check and lo and behold the light is a push switch light.
I love the way Bennington does the little things even without telling you.
I feel like a dummy but perhaps this will help someone else too.
Ha! You're Killin me! Glad you figured it out!

So many people struggle with that. I’ve been on three friends’ Bennies and ALL of them did not know how to turn that light on. I was very happy to tell them. It’s like I was a magician or something with their reactions.

I think many times, this is the difference between a “good“ dealer and a “great” dealer. Our dealer spends time not only at the dealership but on first time out (if need be) walking through every item on the boat. Switches, lights, bimini operation, seat functions, etc…
They also use a checklist to make sure that you’ve been given instruction on many of the above items.

Last edited:
If my dealer had not shown us, I would not have known. Glad you figured it out. So many people don’t know how that light works.

My 18 month granddaughter figured it out the first time on the boat. They push everything.

Last edited:
That courtesy light really needs its own dedicated switch. On my QX Sport one night, I was trying to shut that light off figuring it was on its own switch. Once I found the switch that shut it off and not realizing I was also shutting off the nav lights, it didn't take long for Marine Patrol to pull me over and rightfully so!

Dan

Glad to find this out. Just bought a 2014 R25 and took our maiden voyage at sunset. Was wondering why the courtesy light turned on with the nav lights.

Tested the light today and pulled it apart. As others have noted it's a simple push switch with no fancy settings or wiring configurations - if it comes on with your nav light switch then you had left the helm light in the closed position. Click it to open then every time you power on your nav lights the helm should stay on.

52B84AB0-70B7-41EF-8846-FF42DF7ED1BA.jpegA98A94ED-686D-4CBB-9B12-E65A85A20CEE.jpeg

Back