Cover for 2550 GBR

The prices I have received so far are around 1800. Two of the individuals are using Recacril. After some quick research, it seems similar to Sunbrella but a different weave. Anyone else heard/used it before?

I've never heard of that brand . If you can , find out if they have a sample to look at and compare with the other brands

I’ve never of it either. Would be curious to learn more too.

Both are distributed by sunbrella. Sunbrella is made in the US the other Spain.

What about Top Gun? Was quoted prices for both Top Gun and Sunbrella with the latter being $200 more. Based on a little research. It's better at abrasion resistance but that's about it.

I've never heard of that brand either.

Trying to decide if I want to go with the last guy I talked to. It's about a 2 hour drive from my house but the price for a complete custom Sunbrella job was around1500. Apparently it's an Amish couple that do the work and their work looks pretty good but I can't tell.

$1500 for Sunbrella sounds like a deal to me . They need your boat to line up the snaps correct ?

Correct. And he can get it done the second week of May. Just the drive though. I was skeptical also by the whole "amish" thing when dealing with the gentleman who said he is just helping them out where he can. After some more snooping on the web I was able to verify that he is Amish from an article in mlive "Henry xxxxxx, an Amish farmer who...", so I'm assuming the quality and snitching should be pretty good.

I have had a few things done by the Amish . I've never had any issues . Great workmanship in my experience.

I don't know the answer to this ,are there different grades of sunbrella?

I don't know. Good question and worth the research. I'll let you know what I find out.

The quote I got yesterday was about 1k more for 2ft less

A 2 hour drive for a quality job, at a reasonable price, with quality material, for something important that will last a very long time is time well spent. If the hang up is the drive, I’d say set that aside and bite the bullet. In the scheme of things the drive time will be a small price to pay for the years you will get with that cover.

The quality and workmanship of Amish made products are top notch! We bought Amish made wood outdoor furniture from an Amish group in southern Maryland back in the early 80's for our 1st house. The picnic table is still being used by the guy who bought our house. We bought more Amish furniture in the early 2000's for our 2nd house in Virginia. This group was from Pennsylvania. My son still has the wood rockers at his home in Georgia. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from them!!! If they made pontoon boats I'd buy one. Ha!

Sorry but ,it looks like there are 3 different Marine grades Sunbrella material . Mayfield ,SeaMark and Shade . Plus Waterproof and water repellant .

Last edited:
Sorry but ,it looks like there are 3 different Marine grades Sunbrella material . Mayfield ,SeaMark and Shade . Plus Waterproof and water repellant .
Didn't realize they had different grades of material. Whatever one we had on our last boat was a bit heavier than the original Tumac cover.

Didn't realize they had different grades of material. Whatever one we had on our last boat was a bit heavier than the original Tumac cover.
I didn't either ,that's why I went to check when the OP came in with a price about 1K less than the quote I got for a longer boat .
$1500 was about what was paid when my 2014 was replaced in 2016 .

Learn something new every day. I too only thought there was one version: Sunbrella. Interesting to learn.

Back