Cover for rear deck

So this cover saga is going to get worse it seems.  Without being able to cover the boat while trailering, now my mega bar counter top is pulling off.  It seems the glue used has come lose.  My only theory is that from the wind "pulling up" on the lip of the mega bar caused it, as I know it was good when I stored it last and noticed it immediately when putting in the water at my last destination this weekend.  To safely get home, I put a towel around it to protect the counter and cabinet finishes, then put a ratchet strap around the entire counter top giving it support on my drive home.

Now I basically cannot trailer the boat with or without a cover without damage.  Just not right....

[/quote

kkitowski, There are covers you can buy for towing. I don't own one so cannot speak for it but perhaps others will chime in with their opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/Denier-Marine-Polyester-Trailerable-Pontoon/dp/B00BUI70WM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406684157&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=bennington+pontoon+%26+Trailerable+cove

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it. If I get a lily pad, that looks like the perfect solution!

Jfuhr18

That is awewsome.  I will be taking this pic to my local canvas shop for a fall tailering.

Thanks for sharing.  Great job!

Todd

So anyone with any thoughts on having the transom still open and having the canvas snap along the inside? So basically just having two sections that go over the rear deck?

Derrick--I would think a good upholstery shop would be able to do that.  Just a couple more seams.

AlexW-was done at Runde Upholstery in Dubuque.  Where you located in NE IA?
Jeremy - thanks!  I'm also in Dubuque, but we do most of our boating in the southern half of the pool.  Did you have your Lily Pad last year?  I remember seeing someone with one behind a Bennington at Kittoes, but don't remember if it was the boat in your gallery.

AlexW--That was not us.  We just got the Lily Pad about a month ago.  We slip north of Lock 11 and hangout at sandy bottom or north of the dam most of the time.  We will be down your way on Aug 23rd for the White Rose Regatta if your around.

AlexW--That was not us.  We just got the Lily Pad about a month ago.  We slip north of Lock 11 and hangout at sandy bottom or north of the dam most of the time.  We will be down your way on Aug 23rd for the White Rose Regatta if your around.
We'll be there (well tentatively.....my wife will be 38 weeks with baby #2 on August 23rd)!  I'll keep an eye out for your boat, but if it is as busy as usual you might be hard to find!

I got lucky.....................sort of, Benny is warrantying my cover due to bad stitching in several places and they have sent the wrong cover 3 times now actually 4, dealer just called and said they got #4 and it is the right dimension but had extra material on the sides up front spot so they are going to send it to a local upholstery shop to get fixed, I talked to them and they are going to use the old cover material for the modification and I told them I want to extend my cover to the rear as is shown here and they said to get with the upholstery guy and them to show them what I want and they will use the old cover for material to rework the new on since he will be doing work on it anyhow.

I printed off the pics from this thread and will be giving it to the dealer / upholstery guy for a reference next week. Thanks for posting up the mod.

That's great!!   Let us know how it turns out

Picked up the Benny from the dealer today, upholstery shop finished it last night, One word..............AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't have expected it any better from the factory, they used new material identical to the factory cover AND ADDED A ZIPPER TO THE EXISTING COVER TO ATTACH THE REAR DECK COVER. I will get pics tomorrow and post up the excellent job the local shop did, I wasn't even dreaming of anything as good as what they had done based on the pics I had run off from this site of rear cover mods.

Was $415 to have the rear cover made.

Still need to get pics, keep forgetting to do that.

Picked up the Benny from the dealer today, upholstery shop finished it last night, One word..............AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't have expected it any better from the factory, they used new material identical to the factory cover AND ADDED A ZIPPER TO THE EXISTING COVER TO ATTACH THE REAR DECK COVER. I will get pics tomorrow and post up the excellent job the local shop did, I wasn't even dreaming of anything as good as what they had done based on the pics I had run off from this site of rear cover mods.

Was $415 to have the rear cover made.

Still need to get pics, keep forgetting to do that.
Any pics yet? Still haven't got my upholstery lady to come back over and do mine! Figure it'll probably parked soon! :(  

Any pics yet? Still haven't got my upholstery lady to come back over and do mine! Figure it'll probably parked soon! :(
Yes I did get a bunch of pics of different things on the toon and trailer as I hooked up to hit the water for what could have been the last good weather weekends of the year but hope not. I Am working nights this week but possibly tomorrow morning I can get them uploaded.

OK finally got some pics loaded of the extended rear cover.

What the dealer actually did was keep one of the new covers that didn't fit and had the upholstery shop use that to make the extended rear deck and to fix the front of the cover which was wrong for the 4th time as well.

I did a heavy coating of 303 fabric Guard on the entire new cover within a few days of getting it home as well.

Looks great WildnFree.  Your turn Bulldog

Looks great WildnFree.  Your turn Bulldog
Unfortunately, I think my fix may have to wait until next year. The basement bathroom gut and replacement, followed by the basement flooding and subsequent replacement of everything has taken its toll on my wallet. I guess I'm "lucky" we didn't find a time for the upholstery lady to come back over and do it! Pretty sure I'm just going to winterize it and call it a season first chance I get. We had frost here yesterday, and long range forecast is mostly single digits and a few low double digits. 

Sorry to hear your season is coming to an end Bulldog.  My feeling is that we are not too far behind you.  Pontoons are definitely warm weather boats, we went out last Monday and with the temperature in the low 70s it was still a little cool when cursing along. 

Obviously Bennington knows this and that is why they are coming out with the new windshield models.  Last weekend I saw the Q23RCW in the water at a dealers place.  It was red [yes RED Bulldog] and the floor was linen seagrass, and it had a 300 Yamaha on the back -  It was BEAUTIFUL.  IMO the windshield added to the looks and there is a walkthrough window as well.  I saw the new pontoon shape and they had a hydrofoil type look, very futuristic looking.  Chatting with their parts guy he told me they had it out yesterday and with a good chop they were doing 45 and he said it just cruised flat on top of the waves.

I guessed the price to be $100k and he said not that high, about $78k which surprised the hell out of me and immediately caused me to lose my ability to speak accompanied with shaking and sweating; a PADS attack right on the dock.  I was lucky I didn't fall into the water.  Fortunately the overall length exceeds 27' so it exceeds our ridiculous low Association Dock Rules but hey, a guy can dream.

Back