Cover

Boatingbob

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Bennington 2274 and am a slacker about covering the boat and have paid the price in terms of sunlight-damaged sticking and expensive re-stitching. I am now thinking that if I had a cover, I could make my 66 y.o. body get the boat covered even if I expect to use it again very soon. The covers I have seen () are $450+. (http://boatcovers.iboats.com/Bennington/2274_GLi_%28All_Years%29_ENDURACover-77624/26191/?cart_id=289775675)  Does anyone know of tarps/covers that have eyes on at least the four corners that are more reasonably priced?

Many thanks.

Bob

boatingbob, I might have a little concern about how well a generic cover and especially a tarp would fit and most importantly stay on during a storm.  You also have to have concern over water pooling on top and then pouring into the boat. 

A 2011 Bennington IMO would justify the cost of a Bennington mooring cover

So if you didn't use the original cover where is it? Bought the boat used?

Boatingbob, I bought a new 2012 2275GCW, which came with a playpen cover and even though the boat is in a covered slip we put the cover on each time we took it out.  It was a pain especially since we only had a walkway on one side of the boat.  I started looking for a quick alternative for daily usage and bought 30' cover at Walmart for the 22' boat.  That allowed me to quickly cover and uncover the boat from one end to the other, including the motor and held it in place with 4 straps. 

At the end of the season I have it detailed and put the playpen cover on and again cover the whole thing with the Walmart cover.

This is an alternative and it works well for us and keeping the boat clean is important for its long life.

Roy

Roy - A quick-cover Walmart style makes a lot of sense if you store your boat in a garage or a covered slip.  In those cases, its really just a bird sh!t cover.

I may look into doing this.  It would save a lot of wear and tear on the $1500 cover that came from Bennington.  Especially when you have dock boys that are not the most careful minimum wagers out there putting your cover on every time.

Not in Iowa. The wind will whip that sucker right off.

Garage.

Covered slip

Not yet, but good point. Thanks for the info on Scales by the way. Very helpful. I'm going to wait a year and observe a little more. If you ever hear of a covered slip opening up, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of St---d to let a $25K+ boat go uncovered just because your lazy or maybe because it would take a little time to cover and protect it. The loss of boat value in a short time does not out weighs value kept by wanting to cover. The repairs, replacements and the overall  looks after getting beat up by the rain and sun shows no matter what you do to fix what nature has un done " I just don't get it". Mine gets covered after every use, Not bragging just makes "CENTS" By the way I have two knee replacements and I'll be 80 In the fall. I still cover.

For a good "one size fits all" check out E-Bay About $150.00.

Back