Crazy Gas Gauge Swinging....

Unishot

Reaction score
My gas gauge just started behaving very crazy. I''ve never seen anything like this. The boat is a 2009 2575RFi with a 150 Yamaha. This boat has the large 5" multi-functin gauges from Actia. They have the "Stepper" Motors in them, which swing all the needles back and forth upon startup. These were standard on R and Q series at that time.
The fuel gauge now goes from completely full to completely empty every 3 seconds. (The stepper motors swing the needle). Is this a gauge going out/failing or is it the fuel sending unit in the gas tank? How does one test the fuel sending unit to know if it has failed? It has worked flawlessly up to this point. That being said, given the age of this boat, I wouldn't be surprised if it failed.
I appreciate any insight the Bennington knowledge base here can provide! Thanks!

My gas gauge just started behaving very crazy. I''ve never seen anything like this. The boat is a 2009 2575RFi with a 150 Yamaha. This boat has the large 5" multi-functin gauges from Actia. They have the "Stepper" Motors in them, which swing all the needles back and forth upon startup. These were standard on R and Q series at that time.
The fuel gauge now goes from completely full to completely empty every 3 seconds. (The stepper motors swing the needle). Is this a gauge going out/failing or is it the fuel sending unit in the gas tank? How does one test the fuel sending unit to know if it has failed? It has worked flawlessly up to this point. That being said, given the age of this boat, I wouldn't be surprised if it failed.
I appreciate any insight the Bennington knowledge base here can provide! Thanks!
Sounds like the gauge is stuck on the power up sweep. I would try a hard reset on the gauge, remove power and let it sit for a bit before reconnecting. If its hard to get to the back of the gauge, I would just disconnect the battery for a bit.

Back