Cross Country Tow

IFlyEM

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first boat, 22SSRX, and have a question about towing. The pontoon is about 1700 miles from me, so I am going to be towing it to my home next month. What kind of cover would you suggest I use for the transport? From my reading, the mooring cover will not suffice, or will it? Would you suggest a plastic wrapping? As I stated in the first sentence, this is my first boat so I have zero experience in this category. I will, however, have a very experienced driver doing the towing. I appreciate all the info and tips, and look forward to learning much much more from all of you!

If you did tow with mooring cover, you would want it tight with no sags by adjusting tent poles firm. Then try to keep road speed down some and inspect often. If any portion comes unsnapped, the wind will damage cover or flap a snap against boat repeatedly and possibly damage it with paint chips, etc. If weather isn't going to be wet and sloppy you could tow without cover. If you tow without cover and you have a removable bow seat option, it could possibly blow out as it isn't attached. I personally would just wait for good weather and tow with no cover but everything secured inside (or remove anything not attached) and maybe add bungy cords around bimini boot storage cover to keep it from flapping fabric while in low transport position. Just my 2 cents.....for what its worth

I would advise to NOT tow with mooring on. You can look at trailering covers on line. If this is the only time long distance towing shrink wrap is another option

I towed mine from Michigan to south Florida when we moved. I had it shrink wrapped and that made it until about 2 hours from our destination before ripping up. I would not tow with the playpen cover on. And I towed mine with a 2017 Silverado 1500 Z71

I've never towed further than Houston to Lake Ouachita AR but did it uncovered. No problem other than bug splatters on the front fence.
I tow with the bow gate open (no seat) and the stern gate open. I also turn the skipper seat backward to minimize bug splatters.

I would never risk highway speeds and crosswinds on a mooring cover.

Only issue I've ever had is the back of one forward-facing lounge seat would pop up and open when towing. I use a bungee cord now to keep it closed.

I tow my 2575 RL mostly with an F250 diesel but also a 5L V8 F150. No problems with either.

Another one for towing without the cover. It's not made for long distance highway travel. There are members that have travel covers. Do a search......

The mooring cover is not designed to be a cover for towing , ,We originally bought our Bennington in Minnesota and towed it back to California ,first trip brand new boat and shredded the Bimini Boat cover ,Dealler replaced under warranty.Then we towed its from California to South Carolina And wrapped tape around the Bimini boots and had NO issues ,except the bug splatter but nothing a wash didn't take of .Safe travels and just keep a watchful eye while your traveling

If it doesn't blow off, good chance you will stretch it, then water will puddle on it instead of running off when it rains. Ask me how I know...

If it doesn't blow off, good chance you will stretch it, then water will puddle on it instead of running off when it rains. Ask me how I know...
OK, I'll bite. How do you know - LOL

Tow uncovered, it will be fine... Bought my current Benny in Missouri and had it towed to Lake Havasu, AZ... Then towed it to Oregon... You just need to give it a bath when you reach your destination

Last edited:
I also tow uncovered when traveling any distance. I have on occasion left the cover on when driving to the dealership, but it’s only 5 miles.

Something else to be prepared for is very poor fuel economy. When I tow with my ‘18 Ford Expedition and get about 5 miles to the gallon at highway speeds. That means I had to fill every 100 miles.

Look I to having it transported..might be close to a wash with fuel, tolls, lodging, wear and tear on boat and truck..etc

I also tow uncovered when traveling any distance. I have on occasion left the cover on when driving to the dealership, but it’s only 5 miles.

Something else to be prepared for is very poor fuel economy. When I tow with my ‘18 Ford Expedition and get about 5 miles to the gallon at highway speeds. That means I had to fill every 100 miles.
These Benningtons are wonderful in every way except being aerodynamic while being towed on a trailer! It's like towing a deployed parachute.....lol........it makes them feel heavier than they really are :p

These Benningtons are wonderful in every way except being aerodynamic while being towed on a trailer! It's like towing a deployed parachute.....lol........it makes them feel heavier than they really are :p

I have found a solution to the aerodynamic problem of towing my Bennington on the trailer. 500 hp and 1850 pounds of torque. See picture below.
467F69CE-70FD-4847-8DC2-DF230BC4DC22.jpeg

I have found a solution to the aerodynamic problem of towing my Bennington on the trailer. 500 hp and 1850 pounds of torque. See picture below.
View attachment 27208
Are you sure I couldn't be your lost 67 year old child? You have some nice toys, Mom and Dad. lmao Yes, I am sure towing Benny is no big sweat for a real engine in your bus. Also, it already handled the air resistance 50' ahead of Benny.

500 hp and 1850 pounds of torque

Danny, I've seen that kind of configuration going down the road... maybe you can answer a question that has been haunting me!!!!
How do you launch the boat????!!!!

Are you sure I couldn't be your lost 67 year old child? You have some nice toys, Mom and Dad. lmao Yes, I am sure towing Benny is no big sweat for a real engine in your bus. Also, it already handled the air resistance 50' ahead of Benny.

It sure does block the wind but she kicks up a lot of road debris. Son, son is that you???

Danny, I've seen that kind of configuration going down the road... maybe you can answer a question that has been haunting me!!!!
How do you launch the boat????!!!!

Either my wife follows me in our Expedition if we’re going a short distance or we invite friends who have appropriate vehicles to help me launch. As you know having a boat opens the door to a lot of invitations for your friends.

Last edited:
Do you Lunch after the Launch?

Back