Curved Bimini Question

Greg23LSB

Reaction score
I ordered our 23 LSB with the curved bimini. My question is related to the ability to lay the bimini and supports all the way down. One of the things we did with our Crownline to keep the water out is pull the back legs on the bimini out of the supports and lay the bimini down flat so the custom cover we had made had no openings and would completely cover the boat. With the LSB, if I were to pull the back legs, will the bimini lay all the way down on to the sundeck area since the rails curve downward in the stern? I assume if I had the straight bimini I would be able to lay it down flat folding it fore rather that aft, but I know I won't be able to do that with the curved one. My wife has me questioning if I should change to the straight bimini in order to be able to lay it flat and have the cover made without any openings to go around the bimini. Any input would be great. Thanks.

I ordered our 23 LSB with the curved bimini. My question is related to the ability to lay the bimini and supports all the way down. One of the things we did with our Crownline to keep the water out is pull the back legs on the bimini out of the supports and lay the bimini down flat so the custom cover we had made had no openings and would completely cover the boat. With the LSB, if I were to pull the back legs, will the bimini lay all the way down on to the sundeck area since the rails curve downward in the stern? I assume if I had the straight bimini I would be able to lay it down flat folding it fore rather that aft, but I know I won't be able to do that with the curved one. My wife has me questioning if I should change to the straight bimini in order to be able to lay it flat and have the cover made without any openings to go around the bimini. Any input would be great. Thanks.
To my knowledge, neither bimini style lays flat on the SB “sun deck” when it is all the way down. That said, we have the electric curved on our SB, so that is the one I am most familiar with.

The bimini will lay across the side panel and then straight across the back about 2-3‘ high. If you have the bench-back seat up for forward facing seating, then the bimini will lay across the top of it if you put it “all the say down”. That is far down as it goes.

Hence, our bimini is either deployed (rarely, but sometimes) or sits in the radar position so as to be out of the way (most of the time) during boat operation and use.

When the boat is not in use, the bimini sits on the shorter support arms to keep it from resting on top of the metal side panels and the back of the Swingback bench seat back. Honestly, I don’t remember having any water problems collecting in the bimini cover over our 5 years with our boat.

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. We will have a custom cover made for the boat when we pick it up. My concern is with keeping water out of the boat, not out of the bimini cover. Whatever the lowest position is I can get it in to allow the cover to completely encompass the boat with no openings to go around the bimini supports will help to further eliminate any water penetration. We would use the cover for indoor winter storage as well so keeping the crittters out is another concern. I used to take the bimini off on the Crownline and store it at home for the winter. I'm still wondering it I would be better with the straight bimini and fold it forward to rest on the rails. Assuming that is possible. I do like the look of the curved and hate to give it up but want to get what will work best for the cover. If it folds back and will rest on the seat back of the swing back laying pretty much flat that might work as well.

Is this "bulge" what you're trying to avoid?

Some members lay their biminis flat when trailering so hopefully they will chime in. But I don't think the curved bimini will project significantly higher than the standard frame, maybe a few inches?

0DC0CA0D-DBA3-4EBC-BFFD-C49D83B6DDAC.jpeg

I'm fine with the "bulge"! So is this with the bimini in the trailer position? That is EXACTLY what we are looking to do with the cover! Nice cover by the way! Did you have it made or where you able to find it somewhere?

I'm fine with the "bulge"! So is this with the bimini in the trailer position? That is EXACTLY what we are looking to do with the cover! Nice cover by the way! Did you have it made or where you able to find it somewhere?
Actually as much as I'd like to take credit, this is some photo I found on google! I was curious how these biminis looked under a full cover and what kind of issue might be presented with the curved frame.

If I get to my boat in the next few and remember I'll snap a photo of it all the way stowed.

Okay. I better understand what you are getting at. Yes, it does lay flat across the Swingback seat back. In that regard, it doesn’t stick up too badly. It might sink down a bit across there if the SB seat back is flipped forward. I think with a custom cover, you should be able to achieve your desired goal based on our experience with it.

Thanks for the input! I really like the looks of the curved bimini and hate to give it up. I'll stick with it knowing I can fold it all the way down to accommodate a full cover with no penetrations for the supports.

I have the curved bimini with Swingback and have only folded it down maybe twice, both times in attempts to get under bridges. (failed - windscreen is the highest point) Tri-toons sit up high on top of the water.
The mooring cover has nice velcro and laces that wrap the bimini supports, I've never had water intrude.
Now for the Swingback, that's a different story. If my son forgets to click on the support strap, and if it rains, the cover holds a lot of water, I do have the handrail around the SB. I've not even thought of folding the bimini down for storage, maybe it would hold it up, but not far enough back to get over the rail.

I have the curved bimini with Swingback and have only folded it down maybe twice, both times in attempts to get under bridges. (failed - windscreen is the highest point) Tri-toons sit up high on top of the water.
The mooring cover has nice velcro and laces that wrap the bimini supports, I've never had water intrude.
Now for the Swingback, that's a different story. If my son forgets to click on the support strap, and if it rains, the cover holds a lot of water, I do have the handrail around the SB. I've not even thought of folding the bimini down for storage, maybe it would hold it up, but not far enough back to get over the rail.
Good point on the helm windscreen. That is the highest point if the curved bimini is all the way down.

I'm not sure this will help because I don't have a swing back, but I do have the curved bimini. On the short supports it sits up a foot or so. If I lay it all the way down is sits on the front edge of back, of our stern radius seats.

IMG_5014.JPGIMG_5110(1).JPG

Thanks Baja, that helps a lot! It actually looks like the curved might lay down to accommodate a cover better than the straight one unless I flipped the straight one forward. Nice looking vessel too by the way!

Here is our 22LSB with the curved bimini in the stowed position. We did have an issue with water in the cover, but have remediated that by stowing it raised. It's actually a bit better, as now I can walk under it. The second pic is obviously with the mooring cover on.

I hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_3270.jpg
    IMG_3270.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 65203546653__25A56DD5-33E6-4875-8E60-B220C264CBFE.fullsizerender.jpg
    65203546653__25A56DD5-33E6-4875-8E60-B220C264CBFE.fullsizerender.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 23
These pictures are PERFECT! Thanks so much for sharing! Shows I'll be all set for my custom cover with the curved bimini in the down position.

Back