Curved Bimini Vrs Standard?

I installed clips for extra security to hold my top in place. Right now I am using a bungee cord on each side till I get my cables made. I have been 47 MPH with top up. We have done 44-45 many times and no issues.
Thanks - there is another member on here that installed pins through the bracket so something to hold the arms in seems to be the ticket.

And thank you for confirming you can run high speed with the top up. I’m sure it will put more wear and tear on the seams etc. but I’m ok with that - I just want to avoid the catastrophic blowout at speed where the frame breaks and maybe someone gets hurt!

Reviving a dead thread. 40mph with the Bimini up sounds marvelous, but when I get up to 22-23mph the curved Bimini keeps popping out. I adjusted the support arms forward and backwards to change the angle and it did not really help. Those clips appear backwards (wouldn’t it make more sense if the “c” faced the other way since the wind is trying to push it aft??) and those dog-ear tabs don’t actually retain the bar.

Maybe the dealer installed wrong or I’m not setting up correctly, but there is no way I think I can run to 40. The boat will do 46-47 WOT so it’s a bummer and a PITA to constantly put up and down. Are there aftermarket gadgets that help keep the top in place? Maybe upgrade to a hard top or the power Bimini?

Thanks
Here is the fix! There are stainless self locking pins on cable lanyards that can be installed into a drilled cross hole through the rail mount to prevent the leg from popping out. The cable is screwed to mount or rail to prevent losing it overboard. They are available on internet or dealer. Part # 012280 pin and lanyard from Bennington dealer. About $15 each and need 2. Careful to keep drilled hole not oversized so spring loaded ball holds pin locks in securely. CA282B71-4AE7-405A-98B2-AEACA0C4D1ED.jpeg49DCE7C1-2AE4-45B0-B2B8-24B9E8869A81.jpeg

Last edited:
Is that how it came installed or did you modify? If the former that would confirm my suspicion that the dealer likely installed mine backwards!
The black latch on legs is very stiff and holds well at first but eventually wears in and starts to pop out from buffeting wind on forward bimini. The stainless safety pins on safety cable lanyard is the answer to prevent this. Bennington part # 012280 Pin and Lanyard around $15 each and you need 2. They have a cross pins with spring loaded ball so drill proper sized cross hole. Cheaper ones available on internet but Benningtons are really nicely made. Dealer can order them.

Attachments

• CA282B71-4AE7-405A-98B2-AEACA0C4D1ED.jpeg
    CA282B71-4AE7-405A-98B2-AEACA0C4D1ED.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 49DCE7C1-2AE4-45B0-B2B8-24B9E8869A81.jpeg
    49DCE7C1-2AE4-45B0-B2B8-24B9E8869A81.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The black latch on legs is very stiff and holds well at first but eventually wears in and starts to pop out from buffeting wind on forward bimini. The stainless safety pins on safety cable lanyard is the answer to prevent this. Bennington part # 012280 Pin and Lanyard around $14 each and you need 2. They have a cross pins with spring loaded ball so drill proper sized cross hole.
This is perfect jhill, thank you! Part number and everything, this is why this forum is awesome!

This is perfect jhill, thank you! Part number and everything, this is why this forum is awesome!
You are welcome!!! I had my dealer order everything needed to add a front bimini to my previous 2013 Benny 22 SLX and it was on the hardware list. ($600 with shipping in 2018 as frames are 1 piece expensive to ship) Should come standard on any front bimini optioned boat as it is basically rear parts mounted in reverse so the wind is trying to unlatch it. I had an upholstery shop build new Sunbrella tops after I installed frame. I am in process of adding front bimini to my current 2017 22 SSRCX but dealer wanted $1000 for frame and hardware so I am buying aftermarket lighter weight 1" frame and beefing it up with 1/8" thick wall 1 1/4" aluminum tubing slid over top. I found a brand new OEM top and boot in same color (online) so will have upholstery shop modify it to fit with zipper between front and back tops. :p

I just got the info about what prop is best for my Benny and which engine mount hole that my F150 should be in from these forums. I am glad I could contribute something usable. :rolleyes:

So I was wandering around Home Depot the other day (I tend to do that a lot these days) and I found these clips with spring retainers for about $2 each. Thought I’d give it a try. Drilled 1/4 inch into the Bimini bracket and gave it a spin.

No problems over 30mph, solid as a rock. If anything now I’m worried the frame and brackets will rip out before the retaining clip does! Many thanks to jhill for the inspiration to solve this issue!
96B86375-7E4A-41EF-ABAB-095798AD13AB.jpegAD0AABB7-2D17-4D6A-B6F8-A788BDB31C3A.jpeg8B2CD157-E4C0-4244-9E82-ABD301985039.jpeg

So I was wandering around Home Depot the other day (I tend to do that a lot these days) and I found these clips with spring retainers for about $2 each. Thought I’d give it a try. Drilled 1/4 inch into the Bimini bracket and gave it a spin.

No problems over 30mph, solid as a rock. If anything now I’m worried the frame and brackets will rip out before the retaining clip does! Many thanks to jhill for the inspiration to solve this issue!
View attachment 27255View attachment 27256View attachment 27257
Glad that I could help! At that price you can keep some spares on board in case one gets dropped into the water or they start showing corrosion as they probably are nickel plated at $2 each.

The black latch on legs is very stiff and holds well at first but eventually wears in and starts to pop out from buffeting wind on forward bimini. The stainless safety pins on safety cable lanyard is the answer to prevent this. Bennington part # 012280 Pin and Lanyard around $15 each and you need 2. They have a cross pins with spring loaded ball so drill proper sized cross hole. Cheaper ones available on internet but Benningtons are really nicely made. Dealer can order them.

jhill and Potomacbassin, thanks for the info.

I looked at part number 012280 today at a dealer and the pins were ~ 1.25" long. On my 2020 Bennington, they need to at least 2.0" long. I asked the sales manager about them and he said Bennington changed to a wider frame/bracket, but didn't say when. Before you order them, check to see if they are long enough for your bracket.

Here is a link to SS 1/4" pins from an industrial supplier that will sale retail. They have various lengths and you can order with or with a lanyard.

Last edited:
jhill and Potomacbassin, thanks for the info.

I looked at part number 012280 today at a dealer and the pins were ~ 1.25" long. On my 2020 Bennington, they need to at least 2.0" long. I asked the sales manager about them and he said Bennington changed to a wider frame/bracket, but didn't say when. Before you order them, check to see if they are long enough for your bracket.

Here is a link to SS 1/4" pins from an industrial supplier that will sale retail. They have various lengths and you can order with or with a lanyard.

Good info as it is important that they lock in place and are correct length. There are lots of options when you start exploring available hardware. I didn't realize Bennington made a change in width. Member rbtnt added a link that has lots of lengths of similar pins at good prices! Good find! :cool: There are also other pin styles that have a cross bar that swivels 90 degrees to lock but might rub on upholstery.

Last edited:
That’s a good point - my pins were 1/4” Dia x 2” and they BARELY leave enough of a stub to latch the spring keeper. 2.25” or 2.5“ length for the new wider bracket. And there wasn’t much room to tap the holes, leaving less than a half inch of aluminum to span the hole, so this might have been redesigned as well.

Here is a 1/4" X 2" pin from McMaster Carr. It is plenty long for my bracket.

Attachments

• Bimini safety pin.jpg
    Bimini safety pin.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 37
Saw this at West Marine ( you know, that store with empty shelves). Push button release, $12. Probably a worse option to all other mentioned but throwing it out there.

D755D312-B31B-4FFC-BBB6-6DE5E2D10FA5.jpeg

Reviving a dead thread. 40mph with the Bimini up sounds marvelous, but when I get up to 22-23mph the curved Bimini keeps popping out. I adjusted the support arms forward and backwards to change the angle and it did not really help. Those clips appear backwards (wouldn’t it make more sense if the “c” faced the other way since the wind is trying to push it aft??) and those dog-ear tabs don’t actually retain the bar.

Maybe the dealer installed wrong or I’m not setting up correctly, but there is no way I think I can run to 40. The boat will do 46-47 WOT so it’s a bummer and a PITA to constantly put up and down. Are there aftermarket gadgets that help keep the top in place? Maybe upgrade to a hard top or the power Bimini?

Thanks
I ordered cable stays on my new Benny. Hooks to top and goes down to frame rail.

Is that how it came installed or did you modify? If the former that would confirm my suspicion that the dealer likely installed mine backwards!
After the front arms on our curved Bimini would routinely pop out, we reversed the bottom plastic clips and haven't had a problem since (it's been a few years too).
Because of the tabs that are intended to hold them against the adjacent arms when stowed are now on the opposite side, it's obvious they were installed as intended when new. However, they work so much better put in backwards.
Because the little stowing tabs are now useless on the wrong side, we also put a velcro strap on for when in the stowed position but in the end, we haven't use those straps either and never once been an issue (even though we trailer, sometimes longer distances).
I like the extra clip idea shown above too but from our experience, just reverse them and you'll likely be good to go.

Back