Cutting it close

Ecoman

Reaction score
I have a barn and it is a 40x60 the over head door Is on the 40 ft side. I ordered my boat Q2575 and it is 25 ft long. My trailer is 32 ft long. I'm thinking plenty of room. The boat sits on the trailer everything will be great however the back of the boat extends about 5 ft beyond the trailer. Now 5 + 32 = 37 The 40 ft deep barn is measured from out side to outside not inside so I loose about 8" on both sides wall thickness . That makes it about 38 1/2 ft deep. Long story short I'm in with about 9" on both ends to spare. Moral of the story measure twice and buy once.

Depends how far forward the boat sits in the trailer.

You didn't mention the door height...

Yep, got to be careful when planning.  My example is a little too close for comfort.  New Morton barn is 42' x 72' with 10' high overhead doors on each end so I can drive right thru, no backing.  However, the bimini, in trailer position, just touches the top of the door opening , e.g., no wiggle room at all.  That's what you call too close for comfort.  Wish I had another few inches of clearance. 

You could move it up on the trailer a little if you need too.

Our storage garage has a curb so you know how far to back up. The curb stops you from going too far back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a large front yard, however whenever I bring my boat home for cleaning, it and my SuperDuty crew cab take up about the whole driveway.

At other times, I can park 9 cars and one trampoline.

You could move it up on the trailer a little if you need too.

Our storage garage has a curb so you know how far to back up. The curb stops you from going too far back.
Dang, I REALLY like this idea!! If ever I can build my big garage, I will be doing this! 

Can't go forward on the tailer the tounge weight it a little heavy already but I'm in the barn and that's what counts. The overhead door is 16 ft and I'm good there however I did leave the running light up once and found out the hard way about the height bent it in half . I'm having to make the barn 15 ft wider so I will have room for the boat and yard tracker along with Harley and golf cart. To much junk I mean stuff!!!

Bending the light post is a downer but no biggy like it would be for a bent bimini frame or playpen damage.  A storage shed never seems large enough to handle stuff. 

Now I realize that with yours be the BIG I/O and mine just being an outboard that things are different as far as trailers are concerned, but hanging 5 feet off the back seems a bit too much to me. Do you have an idea what your tongue weight actually is vs the overall weight?  I personally would think that your trailer should be supporting more of your toons. Maybe you should actually have a triple axle with that big girl on there. Keeping in mind that I'm pretty sure you and most people on here have FAR more knowledge then me on here, what are everyone's thoughts? Obviously I realize that the 1.5-2 feet of swim platform don't need support,  but how much of the actual toons aren't supported? 

If it fits your all good!

Oh that isn't bad. When I read 5 feet off the back I was worried for you, but there is only 6-8" of toon unsupported. That's okay. I could imagine it would be a little tongue heavy. I don't know enough about trailers to say whether you would benefit from triple axles or not. I assume it would lighten your tongue weight as it would change the fulcrum point, but don't know if it is necessary. I just see a lot of the wakeboarding boats rolling on triples and figure you are probably just as heavy if not more so. They probably just like the bling bling of it! Haha

That's lot of pressure on those toons where the trailer support ends. I'd be afraid that they'd buckle. The weight of the outdrive, the platform, and things on board just above the end of the supports puts undue pressure at the point where the toon has no strength. Your worried about the length of the barn I'd be worried sick about the boat. Think of that when you go over a bumpy road. The Boat goes up. Could lift off the trailer a little, then comes down. Think of the down pressure and the thin gage toon. Work on trailer extension first. You can always cover the boat.

Back