Damaged Tritoon log

SDiego19

Reaction score
We have a Tritoon and the other day the wind caught by surprise and we float into some rocks. It put a nice dent on the rear left toon (log). My question is should we get it Repaired or buy a new log? Any help or suggestions would be great.
Sean

We have a Tritoon and the other day the wind caught by surprise and we float into some rocks. It put a nice dent on the rear left toon (log). My question is should we get it Repaired or buy a new log? Any help or suggestions would be great.
Sean

Is the pontoon breached, or just dented? Able to post any pictures of the damage?

If it is still structurally sound, I would be inclined to just leave it. It's just part of boating. You spend a bunch of money getting it fixed, and then it can happen again. I've got scrapes and gouges on mine, it's just a fact of life when you beach it as much as I do. I've got a few dents too. Oh well.....

I had one replaced in 2015 .Insurance paid for it in full

I have some scuffs and scraps from a poorly moored pontoon boat breaking from and scrapping along our starboard pontoon this past summer. I spent 6 weeks off and on looking into options to correct it. I think I have finally settled on leaving it be, although not 100% on that decision yet.

Our damage is not very noticeable when in the water since it mostly contained at the water line. The hassle and expense of dealing with it, just to then potententially have another mishap down the road and undo the fix anyway, is weighing on me. It is tabled in our winter off season, and we will make a final decision in the spring.

Like Unishot mentioned above, if just cosmetic and not impacting functionality or safety, might (might...) be worth just moving on and not worrying about it. As pretty as these fabulous and expensive boats are, they are a recreational water vehicle, and there more prone to events that go side ways from time to time.

We have a pretty good dent on the bottom of our port-side pontoon at the very stern (from a submerged tree trunk in 28-feet of water!). It did breach the end-seam where the end-cap of the pontoon is welded to the pontoon. The dent is about as big around as a basketball and probably 2 inches deep. I obsessed for a while about replacing it but decided I would leave it. Anyway, I don't even know if I could get a 'toon like that anymore - big full-length lifting strakes on both sides with reinforced wave deflectors on the bow.

I can't see the dent when the boat is in the water. I can see it on the trailer only if I'm under it. So most of the time, its out of mind. Sort of my own little badge of shame! (so, if you're feeling some shame over "getting caught by surprise", just convert that into regret and a lesson learned, and you'll be fine!) :)

My mishap also bent the v-channel on the bottom of the toon --- combining the dent and the bent v-keel, I wonder if I get water flow turbulence/disruption over my fish-finder that impacts its ability to read depth (it will cut in and out at odd speeds).

I also wonder if it impacts top speed, but my I/O center hull is so huge, I think I get most lift from that.

All of which means I still obsess over a little bit!

Last edited:
I have some scuffs and scraps from a poorly moored pontoon boat breaking from and scrapping along our starboard pontoon this past summer. I spent 6 weeks off and on looking into options to correct it. I think I have finally settled on leaving it be, although not 100% on that decision yet.

Jeff, are they giving you any type of financial compensation for the damage. If not, even without repairing, I’d be getting something from the neighbors insurance policy for the damage.

Jeff, are they giving you any type of financial compensation for the damage. If not, even without repairing, I’d be getting something from the neighbors insurance policy for the damage.

That part is a little messy - or at least I am viewing it as such. Short answer, NONE of the potential parties has offered/agreed to any type of financial compensation for the damage that is not tied to a specific repair or remedy.

Read on for details, or stop above with the direct answer. :p

The boat rental company has worked with me to try to come up with possible solutions, and offered to contribute a small amount towards them financially ($300-400). Actual boat renters have not offered anything concrete, but have said to reach back out to them to discuss financial assistance with repairs if needed. They otherwise are apologetic about what happened. Both of these parties are very nice and polite. Apologetic over what happened, and sound willing to do something.

VRBO property owners: passed along renters contact info, but seem to want to wash their hands of it. They do not seem willing to voluntarily work with me beyond this point on this matter with their homeowners Insurance policy.

Boat Insurance policy: It is insured in conjunction with my lake house policy, $1000 deductible. I could go this route and try to small claims court or subrogate via insurance to get reimbursed my deductible. However, as many here know, we have had 2 big homeowners insurance claims this year at our cottage (snowmobile crash and fire, and storm damage). I am worried about future rates if I have any further claims anytime soon. Thus, I am personally reluctant to utilize my insurance even though that would be the easiest and most comprehensive way to “repair” or “cover up” the damage.

Small Claims Court: I have considered this option IF the responsible parties don’t step up 100% on their own if I get repairs done. I see this as a last resort type solution. And, based on interactions with boat rental company, and the actual boat renters, I am somewhat confident something like this wouldn’t be necessary anyway.

What’s holding it all back: None of the possible solutions really seems totally ideal, and as said above, when in the water, you really have no idea the scuffing, scraps and scratches all along the starboard pontoon are there. You have to really be looking for them right above the water line. Frankly, if I tied off with another boat (which I have never done), I could probably get the same type of marks pretty easily if not careful about bumper placement.

Thus, after so many cottage repairs this year from the accident/fire and storm damage, I am feeling exhausted in dealing with these types of matters. Thus, my “maybe its time to live with it and move on” position mentioned above.

Yeah, I guess it’s one of those win the battle lose the war deals. Sucks you’ve had to go through all of this, then just throw the year 2020 into it. You didn’t have a monkey on your back, you had a gorilla ... :confused:

Back