Dealer trade in process, comments please

Frankd

Reaction score
So, went to the dealer yesterday to try out a 20sli tri toon, have to say I was impressed with this package, no frills inside but preformed great, 34mph and turned like a cat on carpet (compared to my two toon) after sitting down and talking numbers we came to agreeable terms and I ask, what now, he says we do a contract, you give me a 1k deposit, we come pick up your boat (90mi round trip) run it through the shop and go from there, I guess I can understand their being cautious but this is way different than my last two trades, pretty much agreed on a trade, brought in the boat at time of delivery, they did a quick inspection and said good to go, This time I have reservations on what happens once they have my boat, at that point they have my boat, time in transportation and my 1k. I guess worst case they get my boat and for whatever reason they don't want it or offer me less and I have to go get it but they still have control over the deposit, is this common practice on trades?

I'm very interested in hearing other trade in experiences, am I being overly paranoid?

My trade in is a 3 year old 20sli, Yamaha 70, 50 hours, great shape with 2 years left on the warranty for the boat and motor

If you're concerned then I would say don't sign a contract or give a deposit and get them to evaluate your trade in first. No different than when buying a car in that sense. 

I traded mine (2013 ,22 SLX ) in to the original selling dealer last December .

We agreed on a price and he had not seen it since he sold it to me June of 13 .

The trade in price was in the contract , he picked it up May of 14 when it came out of storage .

I would get it in writing that if you can't agree on a ( reasonable)  trade in value ,no deal and you get your deposit back 

Oh, I like Jack's idea, get it in writing on the contract about deposit refund. My dealer never saw either of my trades until he picked them up either and bother prices were already negotiated, but he knew me well and knew they were well taken care of, well that is until someone backed into the trailer and toon on my way to meet him! Haha

Ditto on Jack's comment, I would assume if they did not like your boat & the price were different you would get your deposit back. One think you may not of thought of is if the deal falls thru  that they tow your boat back to where they picked it up from.

agree with putting it in writing that the deposit is refundable if contract numbers change upon inspection. 

Not to steal the topic but when I purchased my benny last year I had to sign the contract and deliver my boat to the dealer before my new boat was even at the dealer.  He said once I agree to buy a boat, the trade in was theirs.  Dealer sold my old boat the day I dropped it off so I did not have a boat to use until the new one came in.

Thanks everyone, with the advice from you guys we now have the boat under contract, deposit refundable and they are not going to pick my boat up and take it to their shop to inspect, we will sign papers tomorrow and mid week they will bring me the new boat do a quick inspection on mine and take it back with them, in talking with the sales person it seems they have been burned twice recently with boats that were traded in that turned out needing major engine work so I guess I understand why they were being cautious. So now the hard part, WAITING for that new boat!

Frank, I may be in a very similar situation this winter or next spring. I have a 2013 20sl with a Yamaha 50 that I may trade for a 20sl tri toon with the perf package, which I assume you got. Shoot me a pm if you don't want to discuss it openly but ball park, where did you wind up at on your new one and what options?

We'll be trading in our old Sunchaser in two weeks for a new 2550 RCL.  The dealer, who is on the lake, gave us the option to deliver the boat via the water and the trailer via the land on the day of delivery of the new boat.  The wife will be driving the boat there and I'll be delivering the trailer. 

I was wondering what you do when you turn over your old boat, do you remove the registration numbers and the registration stickers?  And what about accessories like the anchor and other things that can be removed do you take them with you?

It may vary by state .

I am in Michigan and the registration numbers were left on along with the sticker .I did have to sign the registration certificate at trade in .

As far as removing things , that was negotiated ahead of time  in my trade in price  .I left the anchor and such and was given new at delivery  .

We'll be trading in our old Sunchaser in two weeks for a new 2550 RCL.  The dealer, who is on the lake, gave us the option to deliver the boat via the water and the trailer via the land on the day of delivery of the new boat.  The wife will be driving the boat there and I'll be delivering the trailer. 

I was wondering what you do when you turn over your old boat, do you remove the registration numbers and the registration stickers?  And what about accessories like the anchor and other things that can be removed do you take them with you?
Call me anal but I would have him deliver the boat on the trailer at least long enough for you to verify that they have the bunks and guides set up correctly and that the trailer fix the boat. After that, do the water delivery. 

Call me anal but I would have him deliver the boat on the trailer at least long enough for you to verify that they have the bunks and guides set up correctly and that the trailer fix the boat. After that, do the water delivery. 
We're not purchasing a trailer with the boat but if we were I would agree that I would want to see it sitting on the trailer first.

Kahlua,

As Jack says, I'll leave all the things with the boat that came with it, when they bring our new boat it will have all new stuff with it including all those nice bright orange PFD's that everyone loves.

In NH you leave the registration numbers and sticker on the hull and give up your registration at the time of sale.

Back