Depth finder issue

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, I've got a Hummingbird Piranhamax 4 on my 20ft pontoon. I loose depth readings above 10mph. Any thoughts or advice? Would a better depthfinder work?

Some have moved their transducer down a bit . Most loose a reading in teens . I loose mine about 16 .

You can do a search in the upper right corner and see what others have tried .

Attached below was a post I started some time ago on this exact issue. Hopefully this helps. My issue has been solved ever since the change. Get depth up to 25mph or so

Attached below was a post I started some time ago on this exact issue. Hopefully this helps. My issue has been solved ever since the change. Get depth up to 25mph or so

The last time we all talked about this we had a few mention that they can get readings at WOT. That still isn't the case for you @BennyBoat? I'm about to make this change and trying to decide if I want it on the outside or inside edge, the center clearly isn't ideal. See options here (first two were reported to work at WOT):

Inside:
20220613_175149-jpg.32841

Outside:
full

This is mine currently:

9zORFDs.png

I don't get any readings above 5mph so my debate is to either move to further out (port) and down or inward (starboard) and down. Who wants to make the decision for me??? :)

The last time we all talked about this we had a few mention that they can get readings at WOT. That still isn't the case for you @BennyBoat? I'm about to make this change and trying to decide if I want it on the outside or inside edge, the center clearly isn't ideal. See options here (first two were reported to work at WOT):

Inside:
20220613_175149-jpg.32841

Outside:
full

This is mine currently:

9zORFDs.png

I don't get any readings above 5mph so my debate is to either move to further out (port) and down or inward (starboard) and down. Who wants to make the decision for me??? :)
Before I had my dealer make the adjustment I spoke with the inventor and founder of this website.
This guy had so much information for me to share on how to get this to work the best they can. He was incredibly knowledgeable about placement issues.

Also if you go to the end of my previous post, I show photos that mine worked much better when out of the way of the "Wash" from the keel at the bottom of the tune. Mounting to the Port Side as Much as Possibeand still skimming the water is best

Last edited:
Before I had my dealer make the adjustment I spoke with the inventor and founder of this website.
This guy had so much information for me to share on how to get this to work the best they can. He was incredibly knowledgeable about placement issues.

Also if you go to the end of my previous post, I show photos that mine worked much better when out of the way of the "Wash" from the keel at the bottom of the tune. Mounting to the Port Side as Much as Possibeand still skimming the water is best

Yeah, I read the previous post but you say that it cuts out around 25MPH, is that still the case?

I do believe so. We have not got the boat in the water just yet.
I believe at that speed there is just so much "wash" for it to read properly

Definite possibility, I wonder how these other folks get it at WOT! Maybe you will next time in the water, I'm leaning towards moving it port as far as possible if that is what the expert told you though

Fantastic to hear! Makes a big difference

Sometimes I think we all go to the worst case senecio to attack our issues. I lowered my in the existing slots to the maximum down and everything works fine at all speeds. I will try to split the difference the next time I have an opportunity. I am glad that I di not try to really move it as I have seen some situations here. Little steps seem to work.

Back