depth finder, transducer

Does simrad offer technical support for their products,seems going straight to the source for advice would be the best bet

Does simrad offer technical support for their products,seems going straight to the source for advice would be the best bet
Simrad and our dealer told us to change the angle of the transducer to find "clean" water so it is able to read better. Haven't had much luck yet but will keep trying.

The key is getting it below the tube to cleaner water. All the information I have gathered from dealer, Simrad, this forum, etc seems to indicate to ideally modify the bracket and lower the transducer about 2-3” below the tube along with adjusting the angle of the transducer.

That however leads to the recipricating issue of damaging it if you beach your pontoon, potentially the type of lift it might sit on, or just dealing with shallow water in general. Due to our incredibly shallow water issues late in the season every year, I have yet to do any changes on ours, but the loss of Depth at any speeds about 18-20 mph is frustrating.

Attachments

• Simrad Transducer 3n1.JPG
    Simrad Transducer 3n1.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 8
  • Simrad Transducer Total Scan Med High.JPG
    Simrad Transducer Total Scan Med High.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Simrad Transducer Total Scan.JPG
    Simrad Transducer Total Scan.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 8
Just came across this and think I will give it a shot. The only problem is I can't test it for a while...hard water.

Attachments

• johnnyraytestimonial1.png
    johnnyraytestimonial1.png
    521 KB · Views: 28
Does anyone know which Transducer they are getting with their Simrad: Active Imaging 3in1, Med/High HDI, TotalScan or a non-Simrad version (options per simrad)? Attached were the items I could find on the website, but no useful comparison / feature list. https://www.simrad-yachting.com/sim...alscan-skim-6ft-mh-455800-single-pk-053e2abd/
I think one of the first two listed on the 10th page - not sure which one but it has temp. Not any of the longer ones but thinking I might switch out to active -imaging.

Hey BK - did you ever try flipping your anode around?
I think you mentioned that last time. Thx for reminding me. This way the water would be "cleaner" when passing the transducer.

I think I'm going to just stay under 20 mph when I'm in unfamiliar waters.
Good call - even at those speeds a sand or mud bar can come up quickly on you and before you know it your skeg is getting polished. I run pretty aggressive routes outside of channel markers to save fuel but I roll the dice when there are oddball variations on the river bottom. Depth data is only useful under certain conditions so you need the full suite - prior knowledge of the area, visual cues (variations in water color or surface action), nav charts etc.

Just came across this and think I will give it a shot. The only problem is I can't test it for a while...hard water.
Let us know how that works out. Looks promising.

This has great potential depending on how much “slack” is in the transducer cable. If you give this a try, please report back. I am saving the link to it if this pans out well for anyone else.

The below picture shows how much I lowered the transducer in order to minimize disturbance to the depth reading. Additionally it is offset from the center of the tube. It’s all about avoiding air bubbles under the transducer. Hope this helps!

0AA522B0-3498-4F3E-9B80-23C3421F2823.jpeg

Playing around with the angle of the transducer.....

Is that angle working for you? That looks pretty radical. Almost a forward facing sonar :))

Is that angle working for you? That looks pretty radical. Almost a forward facing sonar :))
Ha! That was one of the multiple angles I tried........all with the same result! No matter where I put it it stopped reading about 18-20mph.

Came across this link on a website named Sternmate.com. Site is promoting their own product (adhesive transducer) which I believe is more applicable to v-hulls but article has some good info on transducer placement and angles for getting accurate depth readings at higher speeds. I have not had a chance to adjust angle on my Simrad transducer yet but hoping it helps. My initial intuition was to drop the transducer angle to get it lower into the "undisturbed" water but article advises raising angle up to allow transducer to "skim" water surface as bow raises (stern lowers) at higher speeds. Based on some earlier posts from members in the club it appears to help. We'll see.

1614001845175.png

This has great potential depending on how much “slack” is in the transducer cable.
Truer words have not been spoken. I was limited on how far down I could move mine by the cable length available. Fortunately, what I did have was good enough to allow readings into the high 30s.

I think one of the first two listed on the 10th page - not sure which one but it has temp. Not any of the longer ones but thinking I might switch out to active -imaging.
My dealer received confirmation today that the Transducer included with the Simrad's is the lower end HDI, with no ability to upgrade without a full custom request which apparently they are not thrilled to accommodate these days, and could delay boat delivery (whooo - don't want that). The Active Imaging 3-1 apparently is a much better unit per every review I could find. The big issue with upgrading after the fact is the wiring - I am trying to find out if they each have the same # of wires (I think the 3-1 has an extra line to support the 2D imaging). Just not sure how they would be able to pull a new wire without a huge amount of work.

Normally you can buy chartplotters with or without a transducer so if you wanted to save $50 (assuming Go9) you could ask Benny if they could do that and buy 3-1 transducer aftermarket. But I would be surprised if the boat shipped with the transducer already installed as that's something easily broken. Should be part of dealer prep and rigging. So buy the upgraded transducer and provide to dealer.

If already pre-installed then the dealer could use the old ducer wiring to fish a pull string for the new one saving some labor.

Just my 2 cents

Back