Designer Vinyl Flooring

Jamie

Reaction score
Was curious to all the owners that have new boats with the designer vinyl flooring...does it get to hot to walk on? I was at my dealer recently that had several sitting out in the sun and you could not literally walk on it barefoot, it was so hot. What say you about your experience if you do have that floor? Thanks for sharing! 

We have the AquaTeak and yes it gets very hot... like so hot you can not walk barefoot on the area in direct sun.View attachment 1112/gallery/album_833/gallery_6882_833_33249.jpg/gallery/album_833/gallery_6882_833_64720.jpg/gallery/album_833/gallery_6882_833_12789.jpg

I'm in Iowa never had an issue. Now... Let's talk about walking on cement... I'm pretty sure I can do it pretty much anytime in Iowa. How about Az? There is a huge difference! 

We've had days where it was too hot to walk on the CARPET........Much less a vinyl floor!

I'm in Iowa never had an issue. Now... Let's talk about walking on cement... I'm pretty sure I can do it pretty much anytime in Iowa. How about Az? There is a huge difference! 

Very true... I was just giving my personal experience as requested. I also have year around boating... try that in Iowa.

We have the designer vinyl and it can get that hot in certain conditions so we're glad we have snap in carpeting too (even that can get pretty warm though). However, without being able to compare directly side by side, it seemed like the platinum seagrass and some of the teaks were even hotter than the designer vinyl so glad we have what we do.

The new bamboo or cream colored seagrass could be cooler but wouldn't have worked with our color combination. And as indicated, I think they all get hot to an extent, and definitely if you are in a place like AZ. If you really concerned about it, you may want to consider carpet which, as indicated, still can get quite warm but is still quite cooler than our vinyl. Since many wouldn't think about carpet on a boat anymore, I think the vinyl with snap out carpet is the best of both worlds if you can afford it.

We have the bamboo and the one time we've used it, it was about 80 with full sunshine and not a problem at all. The dealer actually mentioned that is why they order their boats that way, indicating that some of the other flooring options got very warm. Same with the darker interior colors. 

We also have the AquaTeak, and we were warned before hand that it would be hotter than carpet.

And they are correct. This is our first season with it and now that its getting hotter (sunnier) here in So Illinois, it is not anything for little kids to find out the hard way. I've had to warn a few guests before hand to keep their shoes or flip flops on.

I anticipate as we start swimming off the back (this coming weekend). the wet floor should cancel out the scalding effect :eek:

Glamour shot of first day I saw the boat at the dealership ...note the rigging guy with his deck shoes....

But I still wouldn't go back to carpet.

So much easier to clean.

Our sea grass definitely gets warm but it's  never been unwalkable. Our dealer pushed us away from the vinyl for that reason. 

Our boat has the snap in carpet option and it has been excellent on the feet. If I were going and ordering a new boat. I would order the base vinyl and put the money that you saved on upgraded vinyl towards the carpet. As far as cleaning the carpet, it's a breeze when you have it out of the boat.

Same here, aqua teak and snap in carpet. Perfect combo for us.

Jamie

We have the Designer Vinyl flooring and it does get hot if you sit for long periods of time in direct sun. We had carpet on our last boat and it did not have a wave shield so the carpet was wet once you got underway it stayed nice and cool. The fact that our boats remain dry will cause any flooring to get hot in direct sun. So my  recommendation is to spend a lot of time in the water and keep the floor nice and wet. I also believe you get a little cooling effect from the water especially when underway. 

Platinum Seagrass here & we have had no issues with excessive heat. It was a great choice....

We have the seagrass.  We LOVE it for cleanup, and staying new looking no matter what hits it.  BUT, there is a period in the day when the sun is directly overhead that the floor gets very hot, so hot that I usually put my flip-flops on to walk on it.  It's only for a couple of hours at the sunniest part of the day...

...and like others have said...when I had my other pontoon with carpet, it was also very hot during these same times.  I'm not sure what surface would be cool to walk on after direct sunlight like on the water...

I would never have carpet (maybe snap-in over vinyl) in my boat again.mmjust my point of view.

We had our first weekend in with our new boat, temps were in the mid 80's and we got the seagrass, also love it!!  Easy to clean, didnt seem to get too hot, but we also have a double bimini which we just love as well!!  Also love the fact that you cant even tell when the floor is dirty.  It also seems to have some padding to it so its nice and soft to walk on.

We have the bamboo and this past weekend it was sunny and in the upper 80's, however the floor remained comfortable throughout the day. Even our Tuscan Dune interior remained cool. No problems with the heat here!

I have the Seagrass flooring also. Temps were in the mid-90's for the maiden voyage.  We love the flooring. It did get hot with direct sunlight when sitting in one place. We normally have lake shoes on because of very rocky bottom so it won't really matter much. We did not find it unbearable. We also swim a lot so the deck gets wet. What we were fascinated with was having had carpet for 10 years, the amount of water on the seagrass that you can see but drains nicely off deck. All that water use to just soak the carpet. We would not trade the Seagrass as we like the dark color also.

Full Seagrass flooring on mine, it gets way too hot for my baby feet, so I throw down some towels or splash it with water to cool during the peek hot sun hours.  My first-mate on the other hand has gone barefoot much more than I do and she's fine with it, which is all that matters.  I can not walk on a pebble without acting like a baby, she can walk on a gravel road.

Back