Did Quality change?

Reaction score
I asked last year about going from a Premier PTX to a Bennington after the 2019 Mid Atlantic boat show. Never pulled the trigger but decided to attend the 2020 Mid Atlantic show last weekend.

After climbing through all the boats, we noticed something with the Bennington's this year. The quality wasn't the same as the 2019 models. My wife noticed it first and our friends did as well. To be sure, I went out to the local dealer on Lake Norman to look at a leftover 2019.

The 2019 definitely seems to be built better, the furniture bases are better and the flooring choice was better in 2019. Unfortunately the leftovers aren't exactly what we want.

Has anyone else noticed a change? I'm sure the 2020 is still a nice boat but the 2019 just seemed better.

Wonderful, was just about to order a 2020 SSBXP. If you hadn’t said anything I would have been blissfully ignorant.

Maybe I should check out the pontoons at Cabelas....

I didn't notice any while at my local dealer a couple weeks ago.

In what way are the furniture bases worse in your opinion? Is it something that will impact the functionality and life span of its use? Just curious.

Potomacbassin'- After a visit to Cabelas I'm sure you'll be drawn back to Bennington.

I asked last year about going from a Premier PTX to a Bennington after the 2019 Mid Atlantic boat show. Never pulled the trigger but decided to attend the 2020 Mid Atlantic show last weekend.

After climbing through all the boats, we noticed something with the Bennington's this year. The quality wasn't the same as the 2019 models. My wife noticed it first and our friends did as well. To be sure, I went out to the local dealer on Lake Norman to look at a leftover 2019.

The 2019 definitely seems to be built better, the furniture bases are better and the flooring choice was better in 2019. Unfortunately the leftovers aren't exactly what we want.

Has anyone else noticed a change? I'm sure the 2020 is still a nice boat but the 2019 just seemed better.
Since I "built" that boat on the Builder in the fall and dealing with Lake Norman marina they were kind enough to leave us boat show tickets at Will call. Unfortunately we were unable to attend due to my wife's skin cancer removal from her nose the day before the show started. But we have been to their showroom and checked out the leftover 2019's as well as the 2020's and we haven't noticed any real change in quality. As a matter of fact we couldn't tell between the model years........

I have owned an older Bennington and can tell you the quality is not the same on my 2017, but it is what it is.

I didn't notice any while at my local dealer a couple weeks ago.

In what way are the furniture bases worse in your opinion? Is it something that will impact the functionality and life span of its use? Just curious.

Potomacbassin'- After a visit to Cabelas I'm sure you'll be drawn back to Bennington.

That was very much in jest, I wouldn’t buy a life raft from BPS/Cabelas.

Buyers are so price-sensitive these days that manufacturers probably need to cut a few corners to keep sales. Someone can go the Mercedes route and try to create a niche for the premium crowd, but maybe Bennington did the calculus and are altering their strategy. As long as they honor the warranty that’s the important part for me.

There are some neighbors that have Bennington’s that are older than our 2017. To a person, they were all surprised mine was an s-series because it‘s so nice. Granted my S-series is nearly 100% loaded out, but it still leads me to think at least to that point they hadn’t cut corners. I go in a couple times a year to our local dealer snooping around on the new boats. I guess I just haven’t seen a drop off myself. I’ll have to take a targeted look this spring/summer at some of the floor models.

I have owned three Bennington’s over 16 years and noticed no difference in quality. If anything the options today are better than 16 years ago.

My first Bennington was a 2009 my second was a 2014 now enjoying our 2017 and in my opinion Bennington just keeps improving the quality. I can't wait for number 4.

I can't wait for number 1,..and that is taking a bit more time than I am wanting it to,...and the MAIN reason is budget is not allowing for one right now! It may have to wait another year,...but I still want one. 18 footer is going to be what I'll go with!

Last edited:
I can't wait for number 1,..and that is taking a bit more time than I am wanting it to,...and the MAIN reason is budget is not allowing for one right now! It may have to wait another year,...but I still want one. 18 footer is going to be what I'll go with!
Dewey you still haven't pulled the trigger? Come on man buy a dam Bennington would ya ?

Well we've only had 1 Bennington and we have had it for 12 seasons. When quality comes to mind I immediately think of our upholstery/padding/seats etc. I have a 2004 R. The boat is 16 yrs old. Believe me when I say that the upholstery/seats/carpet are like new! It has held up remarkably well. Bennington did it right in 2004! We have been very meticulous with keeping it clean and treating it with leather/vinyl cleaner conditioner a few times a year. But most important..... We religiously use the cover keeping the elements off of it.

It's all about taking care of your boat...

I spent some time at our boat show this week pouring over the 2020 Benningtons. I think we can lay to rest any suggestion that Bennington is reducing the quality of their boats. I saw NO evidence of any such thing. Given the extended number of years on the warranty, they would be fools to do such a thing.

Case closed.

Back