Dinette Practicality

PlaneFun

Reaction score
Hello, All. I have a question to the practicality of the Dinette floor plan for a new 22' Bennington. We like to entertain (lots of food and drink), so the table looks appealing - but never as sexy as other floor plans. The four pedestal seats don't appear to be all that practical for a day of grandkids' tubing or relaxed cruising. So ....

What is your experience with the Dinette configuration? Love it? Regret it? Other options or suggestions you like better? I look forward to your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Your options may be limited in a 22' if you're looking for maximum table space. We have a 2574 with a midship bar which provides quite a bit of counter space and two pedestal chairs, but we still have two stern loungers and full bow seating. While the pedestal are comfortable, I'm not sure I would want to sit in them for hours while cruising the lake as they lack full height back support. So, if you expect that you'll generally have enough passengers on board that people will have to sit in them all the time, I'd think long and hard. If they will just be "extra" for when you anchor at the sandbar, then full steam ahead IMO.

My wife likes to "entertain" even if it's only the three of us with plenty of snacks/food/drink, and the midship provides a place to prepare and serve it, but would not be a place to play cards like the dinette.

Thank you for your experience and perspective, Michiman. You confirmed some of my concerns, especially the all day comfort of the pedestal chairs. Aside from some alone days with my wife, we would normally have 4-6 on board. To get the type of room we would like with a dinette - plus a few additional seats - we would have to go with a platform larger than 22' it appears.

This is our first pontoon, and the possibilities are many. That is part of the fun, but I find myself "working the problem" in my sleep!

You could add a second table. I did to ours, it's nice for the extra space.

I just added the same table setup for the front seats that came for the rear. We have the SSRX, so the front seating mirrors the rear. There are a couple pics in my gallery. I'm thinking about adding a flip up somewhere, perhaps on the port gate or back of port bow seat.

Planefun, given your comments I'd really suggest that you check out the dinette floor plan in person before proceeding down that path. While it provides a really nice place to hangout, I think anyone that had to sit there for an extended time might think otherwise. Like Mattb states, you might be further ahead with a couple of the smaller tables.

Michigan - I did what you and others suggested. After talking with my dealer the addition of an aft table is easy and cheap. I think that is the way I will go. Thanks for sharing your comment.

When we were shopping for our second Benny, my wife wanted that bar w/4 stools for playing cards. It wasn't hard to talk her out of that since it takes up so much room, and I reminder her of us having to get in the floor to play cards the last time we tried, due to the breeze constantly blowing the cards.
As far as drinks, I'd much rather be sitting in a comfortable lounger than up on a bar stool. When we dine on the toon, we have a folding table that is very compact when stored.

Interesting! I take it you like it and that it's stable and sturdy.

We bought the 22' Stern Radius model and it came with a removable table.
We mounted the table plate between the rear loungers and we can add a forward one also if we wanted.
It doesn't interfere with any seating and is easy to setup and put away.

We had pedestals installed in the front and rear, and ordered two tables - generally a kids section and adult section - works great. That leaves the SB and dual captains chairs for "normal" day boat use, and a lounge at night.

We have a detachable table that sets up between the bow seats. Most of the time it is stored under the helm in a bag. What we find more convenient is a couple of large coolers with cup holders in the lid. So they hold drinks and act as a table, although a low one.

Love our dinette floorplan! We have alot of food /meals onboard and also like to play cards etc. I like the comfort of sitting at a table with my plate of food in front of me instead of holding it on my lap or with one hand! We had the traditional L shaped floor plan for years so this is a welcome change!!!

Not sure if they still make this layout, but these captain's seats are so comfortable, and are taken first by anyone who can claim them. Especially the two rear seats, since you have a table for all your stuff right in front of you, and you can still face forward. I specifically searched out this layout because we mostly camp on the boat and need a dedicated place to prep and eat meals, and play games.

But probably the best part is that while underway, everyone is so close to the captain, so we can all talk. Especially the seat right next to the helm, it makes it nice to be able to chat and navigate together so the captain is not so isolated.

And with the two loungers up front, this gives six people a comfortable forward-facing seat while underway.

10.JPG

Hello, All. I have a question to the practicality of the Dinette floor plan for a new 22' Bennington. We like to entertain (lots of food and drink), so the table looks appealing - but never as sexy as other floor plans. The four pedestal seats don't appear to be all that practical for a day of grandkids' tubing or relaxed cruising. So ....

Local dealer brings theirs in with 2 captains chairs in place of the 4 fishing chairs.

20210216_113415.jpg20210216_113441.jpg

Back