DIY Power Steering?

kaydano

Reaction score
Has anyone added the sea-star power steering to their boat personally? Is this really a DIY project?

My personal experience with hydraulics is minimal. I pulled a leaking high pressure power steering hose off my old Supra years ago and had it rebuilt at a shop because Toyota wanted my left nut for a new one. I put that back on and filled/bled the system. Worked fine after that. I've bled brakes a couple times. I've rebuilt two hydraulic clutch cylinders myself, then refilled/bled those systems. I admit, all that is pretty simple stuff compared to adding an entire new power steering system, I would think, but I do have a little working knowledge...

Any thoughts? Is this a DIY?

Has anyone added the sea-star power steering to their boat personally? Is this really a DIY project?

My personal experience with hydraulics is minimal. I pulled a leaking high pressure power steering hose off my old Supra years ago and had it rebuilt at a shop because Toyota wanted my left nut for a new one. I put that back on and filled/bled the system. Worked fine after that. I've bled brakes a couple times. I've rebuilt two hydraulic clutch cylinders myself, then refilled/bled those systems. I admit, all that is pretty simple stuff compared to adding an entire new power steering system, I would think, but I do have a little working knowledge...

Any thoughts? Is this a DIY?
My only experience has been with bass boats and in that application adding the Sea-Star hydraulic steering is definately DIY. I can not attest to a Bennie application and as with anything else proper procedure is critical (bleeding).

Last edited by a moderator:
kaydano,

If you are moderately mechanical you should be able to easily accomplish this installation. I have replaced the end caps on the hydraulic cylinder due to seals leaking. Seastar gave very good bleeding instructions to bleed the air out. General installation instructions were included in my seal repair kit. The installation instructions were straight forward with good illustrations.

Go for it, post some pictures of your project.

Are you asking if an individual has added a Teleflex Power Steering Pump to an existing Seastar hydraulic system? Sure.

I saw the instructions and pictures on the internet the other day, and it's not at all difficult. Teleflex has good instructions, and the biggest pain is bleeding the system after the pump is installed. Check out UTube to see if the procedure is shown there.

You'd need to carefully shop around for the pump, and the prices are all over the place. I've heard of people buying the pump for $1100 on EBay, but $1400 is more often the cheapest price. I also see it online @ $1700.

I got really lucky last year and found a brand new take-off. The dealer had an Etec w/power assist already installed on a boat. The customer wanted a Verado, which has its own system, so I ended up with the take-off for $650. I did need to buy 2 longer hoses. It's a relatively straightforward installation.

Excuse my ignorance, but is the sea-star hydraulic steering more or less the first step, and then the power steering (pump) is added to that? As in, you need both pieces?

What I'm really getting at, is could I just try the hydraulic steering first, see what I think, and if that's not enough and I want to go to full power steering, there's nothing is wasted??? At that point I'd just add the pump?

If so, seems like a no brainer to add the "first stage" and see how it works.

Excuse my ignorance, but is the sea-star hydraulic steering more or less the first step, and then the power steering (pump) is added to that? As in, you need both pieces?

What I'm really getting at, is could I just try the hydraulic steering first, see what I think, and if that's not enough and I want to go to full power steering, there's nothing is wasted??? At that point I'd just add the pump?

If so, seems like a no brainer to add the "first stage" and see how it works.
I would think so since you MUST have the hydraulic to have power steering. But from numerous posts on this board, I believe my understanding of it is that hydraulic won't in anyway make it easier to turn,just easier to hold the turn once you get there (not fighting the wheel to stay turned). I had a 90hp and after trying to dump my brother in law and some other 'adults', I had a big workout! So you can just add the hydraulic, but if you've gone that far, my guess is you'll want to go all the way!

Derrick

If the power steering pump fails, does it become identical to the hydraulic only system?

For cars it is not true as a non power steering car has different steering geometry and ratio to make steering tolerable without assist.

Does the boat system (power Vs non-power) have the same ratio and all?

One of the knowledgabe guys on the forum explained it [sorry I can't give credit to who, I copied and pasted it into my Bennington notes] and here is what he said:

Seastar hydraulic steering adds a cylinder at the back of the boat (in the transom). It makes steering easier, but not fingertip. Power assist steering is ADDED to the Seastar system, and Bennington installs an additional power cylinder closer to the console...normally in a chaise lounge in front of the console. There is a bit of an electronic "hum" to power assist while in a turn, but this system does provide the ability to drive with one hand, and it is as close as they can get to automotive steering with an outboard engine. Bennington recommends power assist on any boats over 150 HP.

Let me simplify things. Hydraulic steering consists of a pump, which is underneath your steering wheel hub, attached to a cylinder attached to the front of the outboard motor. There are two long hydraulic hoses linking the units.

Teleflex makes two different systems: Baystar (lower hp motors) and SeaStar (higher hp motors.) The SeaStar is usually recommended from 150 hp and up.

Steering can sometimes be difficult with higher horsepower motors at higher speeds, or when turning tight turns using hydraulic steering. If turning your steering wheel is too hard (in the way you use your pontoon boat,) an electric power steering pump can be easily installed after the fact.

The Teleflex power steering pump is usually mounted close to the motor (in the rear.) You take the existing hoses going to the rear cylinders, and install them on the pump. Two new hoses go from the pump to the cylinders on the motor, and these hoses are relatively short. The pump has to be wired to the battery, and it's best to have a helm switch wired to cut the pump on and off. Some pumps are wired where the pump will come on when the engine is started.

The electric pump uses quite a lot of electricity, and it's best if you have large twin boat batteries and a Perko switch between them.

The biggest drawback to the electric power steering pumps is that they're expensive--$1,400-1,700 usually. Sometimes they can be found on EBay and on the internet for less. Add the cost of Seastar system, the Power Steering pump and installation, and you're talking in the $3K range. But, your boat will steer with one finger. And, if you have a high horse power motor and run at high speeds, you've simply got to have it.

For Mercury Verado engine owners, they have their own hydraulic steering system that is slightly different from Seastar, and their pump is in the $800 range. Their pump is incompatible with SeaStar, however.

Back