Donkey biceps

Bill N

Reaction score
Or as some refer to them...Zebra Mussels, were recently discovered in an area lake.
I assume many on here have dealt with invasive species that can answer some concerns/questions.
Will lifting strakes that are not sealed be an issue?
Will DNR require I/O pontoons to remove drain plug?

Or as some refer to them...Zebra Mussels, were recently discovered in an area lake.
I assume many on here have dealt with invasive species that can answer some concerns/questions.
Will lifting strakes that are not sealed be an issue?
Will DNR require I/O pontoons to remove drain plug?

Most lakes here in N. Michigan are plagued with them. Our lake was infected many years ago. They are horrible! They do adhere to most anything solid on the lake bottom over time. Our boat is kept out of the water when not in use, but I don’t think they adhere to metal. Our dock posts and feet have never had them on there. I would assume over time the DNR will start to stress, as best they can require, cleaning boat/motor when moving between lakes. They often do here, but I question how many follow those rules.

The most immediate impact we have is that they are razor sharp. Since the adhere to rocks, wood, and other objects on the lake bottom, it is easy to cut up your foot. If you step on one, you’ll slide your foot. It‘s like a 1 cm. razor blade cut. They also multiple like crazy!

We don’t go in the water without water shoes as a result. That provides the needed protection when walking around.

Between outlets, inlets & creeks, nine of our area lake are connected. So if these buggers are able to navigate against current they will all be infested in a matter of time.

Right before we moved off the lake in Michigan there were a few on my aluminum boat lift so I think they attach to whatever they can.

Between outlets, inlets & creeks, nine of our area lake are connected. So if these buggers are able to navigate against current they will all be infested in a matter of time.

Anything connected they will get to. Their smaller larvae will hitch rides on debris, boats, whatever...and just spread from there. Sorry to hear they have reached bodies of water near you.

Back