Double bimini headaches

LMBENNINGTON

Reaction score
Hello-

I searched for this topic, but couldn't find anything so my apologies if there have been past discussions.

I recently took delivery of a 2550 RSR with a power bimini. We have small kids and the shade helps us out so I expected to add the front bimini before next summer.  I knew going into the purchase that you can't get a double bimini option with the power top direct from Bennington, but I figured the OEM front frame/canvas could be purchased, mounted to the boat and then a zipper added to the rear bimini for a not from factory, factory look.  

Has anyone done this before?  I got to thinking about it and wondered if there was a aesthetic or functional reason Bennington didn't offer the front bimini option with the power top. I know PWR ARM supplies all the power tops, but felt it would be very easy for them to offer a canvas option that had a front zipper already installed so that Bennington could offer dual tops as a factory option. I was wondering if the height of the power top vs. standard top was different or something else.  

If anyone has a power rear bimini with an OEM front bimini frame/canvas integrated into it, please post a picture if possible.  If anyone has input on the topic, I would appreciate feedback.

Thanks.

My initial guess on why it is not offered is due to the way the front bimini folds. On the front bimini the hinge point is towards the center of the boat, with the weight of the unit cantilevered towards the bow, so every wave you hit the weight of the bimini/canvas is moving up and down. I would imagine this would take it's toll on the mechanics of the power unit (without the use of support legs). I could be wrong but that is my initial thoughts.

Interesting.  That makes alot of sense.  The dealer put support legs on the front without me even saying anything so I have them,  Maybe I'll be ok tying in with a front top.

Thanks for the feedback.

I do not have a power bimin, but I did purchase an after market bimini.  For the first summer it overlapped the existing top, which was not quite the look we wanted.  In the winter I took it to a marine upholstery shop and they shortened the new top about 8" and installed a zipper to connect the 2 tops, which give us the look we wanted.  This has worked well for the past two summers.

Good luck

Roy

tn_gallery_1309_597_37777.jpg

Looks good Roy! Nice job!

Getting your Bimini correct is a Art. Depending on where your rear Bimini stops at the front section (where you would add the zipper) will determine where the new add on Bimini would mount. Also because I think the power Bimini is not a factory bennington item but rather a 3rd party aftermarket add on I'm not sure if the height of the power Bimini is the same as the factory bennington Bimini. Example the rear power Bimini may have a over all height of 7 foot and the factory bennington Bimini may be taller or shorter. I could see bennington not wanting to deal with customizing their factory Bimini to match up with a power Bimini.

Royo/others: I would sure  like more shade too and have a few questions for you...

Where did you order your after market bimini? Somewhere I could look up on the web?

Now that you've experimented before and after an upholsterer's alteration, would you have been able to order it shorter and with a zipper in the first place or is an upholsterer necessary to make the modifications...per application?

What size pontoon do you have? We have a 22' SFX fishing model. I originally wanted to order the double bimini but was talked out of it because "what fisherman wants all those poles in the way"?  (I still would LOVE the option!)

Does the framing for the new bimini you added just fold up flat along the pontoon rails or remain in that half-up radar type position?

Does anyone know if we can order a second bimini right from Bennington? Ours is a 2014 model.

Thanks a million for any reply!!

tyiy, the first place I would start is with your Bennington dealer.  After hearing so many stories of biminis not lining up I personally would only want to deal with my Bennington dealer

Thanks for the comments.  I will try to answer your questions and share what I did. First I was extremely concerned about doing something that didn't look right that was irreversible like drilling holes in the wrong place etc.

I have a 2012 2275 GCW with a Yamaha 150.  I purchased the top from Bimini Buddy, it was $550 and took about 2 weeks for delivery.

Someone on the forum suggested that I look at Bimini Buddy, which is an after market bimini top that fastens to the rail with specially designed heavy adjustable plastic clips.  They use sunbrella fabric and will send you a set of swatches for matching to your existing top.  They have a video in which they demo installing and removing.  The tube frame is sturdy and slips together easily.  It is designed to be easily removed and stored, however I leave mine up all summer since the boat is kept in covered storage and then I take it down in the winter.

As far as the zipper is concerned one side of the zipper is sewn onto the existing top and the other side of the zipper is sewn onto the new top.  Since positioning of the Bimini Buddy top is adjustable once you get the zipper in place you can adjust the position for the best fit.  I also bought aluminum brackets from Overtons and this winter I plan to replace the plastic clips and permanently mount the after market top.

The top does not fold down flat it folds over onto itself, but will only stay in the upright position.  They claim with a little practice it can be removed in 3 minutes, in my case it is closer to 10,

There is also the option of having one made to fit your boat several people have done that.  Not sure of the cost involved, but I would take the route I did again.  it is simple, not expensive and a quality product. 

You can also call Bimini Buddy and talk to them, I talked to the owner several times to make sure I wasn't wasting my time or money.

Good luck,

Roy

Royo/Link: Thanks so much for the information! : )

(I really wish I would have stuck to my guns in the first place! Of course, can't say for sure I'd be saying this while trying to fish around it, but, who knows??!!)

Thanks for the posts everyone.  

My local dealer has a front bimini frame/fabric in stock.  We are going to try and test fit it and see how it aligns with the power top before ordering the color I need.  Assuming all goes well I'm expecting to spend ~$1500 to make all of this happen.  That's the price of shade I guess....

Back