Dual Batteries

Chris13104

Reaction score
So I bought a new Bennington SLXP this past summer (love it) and was shocked when I realized it only has one battery. This makes me nervous as hell that I'm going to run the radio too long, leave lights on, etc. at the lake all day and be a dead man in the water come dinner time. I'm a fairly handy guy but know nothing about rigging up dual batteries, isolators, etc. and am scared to death of frying something in the boat (or myself). I've always had fishing boats so I had one starting battery and one deep cycle so this single battery thing or running them in pairs has me confused. Anyone have any advice on installing and setting up a second battery? Did you buy an isolator, etc. ?

Any "pro tips" are greatly appreciated!

Do a search in the upper right corner. Many threads with lots of great information regarding this.

Full disclosure: I have two batteries. However, prior to my Bennington I survived for 20 some years at the sandbar playing tunes for hours without a problem. IMO, as long as you have a good battery to begin with and don't have too crazy of a sound system, you should be just fine. Further, some of the new radio's have an automatic cut-off when it senses the battery getting low. All that said, if having only one battery will prevent you from enjoying your day on the lake, add another one. It's not too difficult and peace of mind is worth the cost. Good luck and welcome to the family, Chris!

Now the next step is getting a trailer, lol. I didn't think I wanted one as I'm keeping it in a slip out at our lake all summer. However, I'm noticing that the amount of crap growing on the pontoons is killing my speed....like 5-7mph easily. Looking to get a trailer now to bring it home occasionally to power wash but like everything else they are hard to find. I've never had to buy one with brakes, always had lighter aluminum fishing boats so this is new to me. All this electric brake, surge brake, etc. is giving me headaches trying to figure out!!!

Thanks for the help.

Now the next step is getting a trailer, lol. I didn't think I wanted one as I'm keeping it in a slip out at our lake all summer. However, I'm noticing that the amount of crap growing on the pontoons is killing my speed....like 5-7mph easily. Looking to get a trailer now to bring it home occasionally to power wash but like everything else they are hard to find. I've never had to buy one with brakes, always had lighter aluminum fishing boats so this is new to me. All this electric brake, surge brake, etc. is giving me headaches trying to figure out!!!

Thanks for the help.
Where are you located

Skaneateles.
Oneida is a fun lake. Three mile bay, restaurants on the river, etc. Enjoy.
Oneida is fun as long as you know where the danger spots are. I managed to find a rock while running wide open last summer. Took out the lower unit with only 30 hours on the boat, that was fun. Needless to say I have a chart plotter now, won’t make that mistake again. I like Skaneateles, lots of friends with places out there, pretty lake.

Chris until you install your 2nd battery take a portable "jump pack" with you onboard. Just in case.....
One of these has saved our day and I have helped other boaters at the ramp with dead batteries as well!
We keep one in every vehicle.

Back